• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

ec-fast_z500a_namer_11.png

Lots of cold air over the top. Just need that wave to kick

May I? I know some of you have a proclivity to talk in absolutes which is never, in my opinion, very wise. I always reflect back on this particular event when people start cliff diving over the MJO and AO.

Not one or two factors are always important. I still say it is a crap shoot most of the time. Early Feb, 2020, we were in Phase 5 MJO (warmest on average phase for early Feb) with an AO index approaching a record, +6 which resulted in the following:

1610993047422-png.66411
This was the last event here to produce anything over a minor accumulation. My only complaint is that it was gone the next day. Even though it can snow in crappy patterns it would be better if it happened when the cold could last longer than a day or two.

Looks to me some timing issues between the major models. Not an "if" but a "when" on cold arriving in the SE (at least for a short bit) somewhere around Feb 3rd-5th. Will we get a short wave after the front though? Who knows.

ec-fast_z500a_namer_11.png

Lots of cold air over the top. Just need that wave to kick
I get energy holding back would raise heights on the east coast. But that's a closed 588 ridge on steroids like you see with a jacked Aleutian ridge and a PV over Seattle. Not with a PV pressing down and ridging off the west coast. That's ridiculous and doesn't add up.

I get energy holding back would raise heights on the east coast. But that's a closed 588 ridge on steroids like you see with a jacked Aleutian ridge and a PV over Seattle. Not with a PV pressing down and ridging off the west coast. That's ridiculous and doesn't add up.
I tend to agree. If a PV is in that location as shown then the ridge would not flex as far north as is being shown… and with the battleground between the two, there should be a significant storm

Back