• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

That’s 00z CMC
My Bad, when I flipped tabs on pivotal it must have kicked back, waiting on new 12z update: Here you go.

500h_anom.nh.png

I’ve seen there’s no Mention of this, so as someone that’s been saying this is expected, the southeast ridge is trending stronger on modeling as we enter the medium range, and we’re trending to a torch ??‍♂️ View attachment 131152View attachment 131153View attachment 131154
Do the same thing starting at 282hrs and the EPS has trended colder. I guess you if you're interested in tracking warmth then sure, the time period prior to the possible cold/winter threat has trended warmer.eps_T850a_us_fh282_trend (2).gif

Do the same thing starting at 282hrs and the EPS has trended colder. I guess you if you're interested in tracking warmth then sure, the time period prior to the possible cold/winter threat has trended warmer.View attachment 131162
Just feels like the same losing battle as usual. Hour 282 winter wx showing up like it always does behind a warming trend. These patterns relying on the western atlantic ridge easily screw the SE esp the eastern SE (dec 2017/Feb 2021). You can already see in those trends the western Atlantic ridge and its associated warmer air aloft nosing in. By tomorrow it’ll probably be over us across the Carolina’s

You need to go post Feb 6th. Definitely see that happening. We all chasing the 3-4 day max window hopefully 2/2ish-2/6ish.
weren't we closing in on a late january window like 2 weekends ago? i don't like being the heel/wildremann but i am taking the L and will check back in in a few days unless the euro takes a dramatic favorable turn

Just feels like the same losing battle as usual. Hour 282 winter wx showing up like it always does behind a warming trend. These patterns relying on the western atlantic ridge easily screw the SE esp the eastern SE (dec 2017/Feb 2021). You can already see in those trends the western Atlantic ridge and its associated warmer air aloft nosing in. By tomorrow it’ll probably be over us across the Carolina’s
This has 1989 written all over it. Maybe we get a 10 day or so shot in mid to late Feb, but we really have no shot till then.

I don't think anyone has denied Feb 6- through Feb 15-20 isn't most likely going to be above normal. Hopeful the CFS isn't sniffing glue and we get the trough its advertising in the East established last 10 days of Feb.

D287FF7D-FB12-460F-BC38-C2C71229DF99.jpeg
Seeing a look like that as well as the one posted above reminds me so much of the 12/8/17 snowfall we had (our last significant snow). Here’s hoping we can trend better.

Sure, it's generally a losing battle with any setup here.
weren't we closing in on a late january window like 2 weekends ago? i don't like being the heel/wildremann but i am taking the L and will check back in in a few days unless the euro takes a dramatic favorable turn
Late January never really looked good for winter threats on the ensembles other than trending away from a sustained torch/SER. The February 2-6 timeframe is definitely the best look we've had since the December disappointment. (Not to say this time period won't wind up in the crapper tank too though)

In the somewhat agreed upon look on the models you need some SER reponse as the cold dumps into the plains. This will hold the baroclinic zone up so that the next wave(s) ride along it and pump moisture back into the deepening cold. Completely dumping cold into the east or having too much SER kill the look. The window is there but it's not huge

Yea we have been in it since this past weekend started. run of mill normal cold for Jan. Plenty of cold rain storms passing by. I watched it pour rain in the mid 30's all day Sunday. Chances are highly likely the Groundhog day/post little window will end up with same result. But I'm not going to be out sunbathing here in Gboro. Yes we will get AN post 2/6ish and most likely out at least till 2/20ish no if an buts from what I'm seeing. After that it may or may not continue. It's a L if we don't score frozen, and chances are 50/50 we do/dont get the bleed east of the apps. Then its another 50/50 to get some timing.

Gboro has had 17 out of the 23 days in January above Normal. Past 3 have averaged Below normal. Today will be right on the fence. Then its Below normal through the weekend as we head into next week. Then we should spike AN 1-2 days.

I haven't found the precip maps yet for this time frame, but it's safe to assume that there was accumulating snow from near Shreveport to W. Tennesee at least.
gem_T2m_us_41.png

Back