• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

6z GFS tried to get a late month clipper/late bloomer action fwiw (which isn't much lol)

View attachment 131123
Honestly I think it’s worth something. I’ve seen no reason as to why this colder period isn’t coming from overnight models. Seems very consistent with guidance but still not getting a great read on exactly how energy transpires during this time (which is fair at this range)

But good lord GFS is now dropping the coldest air of the season on its 06z run. (Remember this is during one of the worst patterns known to mankind)

The 0z Canadian and European both looked similar at day 10. Cold air undercutting from the west and plenty of moisture being supplied by the SER. Plenty of days to track this potential, but at least we have two models on the same page.

Canadian:
View attachment 131125

European:
View attachment 131126
Is it just me or does it look like it doesn’t undercut enough to produce anything but rain?

Is it just me or does it look like it doesn’t undercut enough to produce anything but rain?
Maybe the euro. You could argue that the mountains will keep most of the cold on the western side. But the Canadian has a better push of cold from the north (high weaker but in better position). If that went out a few more frames there would certainly be wintery precip east of the mountains. But again, we have many days to see if this has legs and to see what ultimately works out.

The 0z Canadian and European both looked similar at day 10. Cold air undercutting from the west and plenty of moisture being supplied by the SER. Plenty of days to track this potential, but at least we have two models on the same page.

Canadian:
View attachment 131125

European:
View attachment 131126
This is also how you got that epic gfs fantasy run several cycles back. Same mechanics /time period. It still qualifies as a long shot, but it is a shot.

With Ground Hogs day fast approaching. Remind me when it gets here in 8-9 days to be careful what to wish for. GFS starts a burst of snow/sleet over to a mega freezing rain Storm: Followed up by temps dipping way down in the single digits the next couple of nights , as we would no doubt be sitting there with no power.

zr_acc-imp.us_ma.png

sfct-imp.us_ma.png

22 this morning. That Bermuda is going to be springing to life.
[/QUOTE
With Ground Hogs day fast approaching. Remind me when it gets here in 8-9 days to be careful what to wish for. GFS starts a burst of snow/sleet over to a mega freezing rain Storm: Followed up by temps dipping way down in the single digits the next couple of nights , as we would no doubt be sitting there with no power.

zr_acc-imp.us_ma.png

sfct-imp.us_ma.png
Bring it. I haven't lost power in a good winter storm since December of 2018. Fine by me. I'm ready. Let's see what happens over the next week with the models. At least we have a little hope at the moment.

Even the CFS is on board with the 0Z Euro, 0ZCanadian and 6z GFS Op for the 2/2-2/3 period. I do see the GFS op and CFS advertise normal to slightly above normal after this till mid Feb, like Webb, Fro have been saying; However the CFS has changed a lot as you approach and pass mid Feb, really establishes the trough in the East last 10-14 days of FEB. Not gonna go dig ensembles and its the CFS and Long Range .

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Honestly I think it’s worth something. I’ve seen no reason as to why this colder period isn’t coming from overnight models. Seems very consistent with guidance but still not getting a great read on exactly how energy transpires during this time (which is fair at this range)

But good lord GFS is now dropping the coldest air of the season on its 06z run. (Remember this is during one of the worst patterns known to mankind)
Not much ensemble support with that one system (6z) but starts looking better D10 and beyond but that's lala land. I will say models usually start telling where your heading, they just more times than not do so too quickly. I'm still all in with that much cold air just to our north, eventually we get just enough to bring wintry to, the bare minimum CAD areas, and maybe, just maybe can sink deep enough SE for a few lucky others. Just have to be patient

The location and movement of the TPV will be key to this whole scenario. Something similar to cluster 2 or better would work. If TPV shifts further west and the SER flexes quite a bit, we can hang it up. Certainly is a big battle/clash of two different airmasses.
05f451bc5b1b18b48bca7db6de3bcbb3.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Back