• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Well, this will end in more pain. Fantasy snow isn't as exciting as it was at the beginning of the season...
prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Someone had mentioned March 1960. So I go over to check out JB this morning. And believe it or not JB mentioned 1960. So he showed mid February 1960 Stratwarm. and results for early March 1960 ?

JB - So I am looking at this euro and I decided to snoop around. And I decided to snoop around to 1960
Stratwarm of mid Feb 1960
compday_pmSU2GQXvz.gif

Set up the coldest front 2 weeks of March 1960 in a century
compday_JJ6dVKO8Q6.gif

Temps
compday_lu3ZwIXrev.gif

Man would it not be crazy awesome just to get something remotely close to March 1960.
Ill take a redux of March 1960 or March 2014 All day long. Both where Awesome, and March 1980 wasnt to shabby eitheir. Beleive that was the big Down East Snow apocalypse storm.

I dunno guys…the GFS is trying the sniff something out. A bit more stream interaction and gets interesting y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this will end in more pain. Fantasy snow isn't as exciting as it was at the beginning of the season...
prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png
I'd be weary of completely writing things off there is a ton of cold sitting along the us/can bordereps_T850a_nhem_49.png
With a number of sfc highs stringing along
eps_mslpa_nhem_44.png

It's not a classic but it's not impossible and it's certainly not an ugly pattern where Noam is flooded with warm air and it's realistically dead

It seems we might have a little too much confidence in the models, in regard to pattern changes, and and snow possibilities after 10 days. Even the ensembles can do pretty bad. Here is an example of the Gef as of 7 days ago compared to now. 7 days ago, (and even 3 or 4 days ago) it sure looked like the La nina Atlantic ridge was going to end winter for the foreseeable future. I am sure we will see the Atlantic ridge in total domination of our weather soon enough. we are his home field after all, but I think it is definitely way too early to call the fight either way.

one week ago 10 day forecast
gfs-ens_z500a_us_41.png

this evolves to this in 5 days
gfs-ens_z500a_us_61.png

the same time period forecast almost one week later

beginning 06z JAN 23
gfs-ens_z500a_us_15.png

ending here
gfs-ens_z500a_us_36.png

Last edited:
we always have a chance of late snow here in NC. As a contractor, we have had multiple storms from the last week of February into March. This is only the second year in the last 10 years we have had nothing to even treat in our area. I believe the last time was 2016 or 2017 when we did nothing until April when we finally got to put some salt out.

Feb 24 1989 and Mar 2 1980 are still the biggest events in my lifetime....

1048 high dropping down at the end of the euro. We are going to have a lot of high pressures dropping down in this pattern. Moderation will obviously happen but if you think you can escape this pattern with more warm days than cold in the CAD regions you’re going to get a rude awakening. Cold rain CAD will be in full force at times

Back