• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Sunday looks miserable around here, temps in 30s with rain, wouldn't even rule out a few ip at onset. Doubt warm air makes much westward progress into a solid wedge either. Great day for football I guess
3k NAM at end of it's run had dews still in 20s as precip was arriving

Can anybody give me the eps and gfs ensembles snow matrix for Indianapolis Indiana and Fort Wayne Indiana..I’m going up there Tuesday to visit family and it seems like the storm might be a good hit there next week. If so it would be greatly appreciated.

No real huge surprises here. Even the temperature probabilities in the CONUS are very close to historical La Nina climatology (~70-75% chance of above average temps in La Nina Februarys over the Carolinas).

MME_zg_500.png

La_Nina_Feb_z500a.png

MME_tas_NAPrb.png

La_Nina_Feb_US_SfcTa.png

What small/unlikely chance we had of getting -NAO in week 2 to try & mute this La Nina pattern is dwindling away, likely because of wave reflection (in the stratosphere), as evidenced by a ridge anomaly near the NE Pacific + Alaska & a trough over the Baffin-Hudson Bay in the model trend plots.

gem-ens_z500trend_namer_19.png

Can anybody give me the eps and gfs ensembles snow matrix for Indianapolis Indiana and Fort Wayne Indiana..I’m going up there Tuesday to visit family and it seems like the storm might be a good hit there next week. If so it would be greatly appreciated.

If you leave Model and Model run to Most Recent, you can go to Switch Members and tab through them. Decent free site to see individual members but lots of adds. You can zoom in to regions too. Oh yea, you can Change Parameter for other maps, but selection is limited.

I'll wait through the weekend before calling in the punter. But the window of opportunity for the last week of January is closing. Outside some onset Ice Sun and again Wed for far NW NC as well as some upslope snow squalls on the backside of some lows that will occur over the next 10 days for East Tn/ NC mtn western slopes. There's nothing to hang the ole hat on.

Just ran the CFS out through Feb 19 and its gets uglier as time marches on. Gonna take a late winter/ spring storm to bail us out now from the looks of it. 1993 and 1960 as well as Feb 28,2004 and several other years give hope. Most of the big late winter snows happen at the end of non inspiring winters it seems.

Back