• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Looks like we’re going to get some high pressure in the mix by months end. The moisture has been there so not really worried about that. My main concern is keeping that Atlantic ridge beat back far enough off shore.

Don’t think anyone should have been expecting a long lasting pattern change of winter possibilities heading into February but we do get a solid 5-7 days of potential to get winter weather after these first two cutters. Then we probably will have to wait until middle to late February for an actual good pattern to set up again

this pattern is still not great at all to me, hence the lack of posts View attachment 130648View attachment 130649View attachment 130650

Pattern isn’t great for sure. Went from crap/blowtorch to slightly less crappy overall as we enter February.

There’s still an outside chance imho that the -NAO grows more than forecast and tries to couple with the stratosphere. Even if that occurs, I don’t think it translates to a snowy/cold pattern, but would beat down the torch look we’ve been telegraphing for the last several weeks (which is the usual for La Niña winters) & shorten the amount of time we’re in said pattern. Something to still be hopeful for atm (although that scenario is unlikely)

I still think the Aleutian ridge flips to a trough ~Feb 20th or so & we see the +PNA make a return late in February

I don't hate this -
500hv.conus.png

Lot of energy flying around after that second system with our cold air firmly in place. Could certainly see a decent clipper type event but I could also see cold and dry as well. Maybe an overrunning event as the cold heads out and the SER flexes. Again short period were working with to score but not impossible.

January 17, 2018 was a similar scenario that greatly over performed. I believe it cutoff and went negative over us
yeah no doubt that system absolutely rocked. absolute banger storm for the "hi res models pick up qpf better" crowd. it fooled a lot of old school mets that swore by ensembles. once the qpf got sorted out and everyone realized the thermals were fine for Raleigh....

don't know if i see a ton of parallels quite yet

Back