• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

There’s that Arctic cutoff ridge again
That guy is the gift that keeps on giving. Looking at the eps plumes there were a handful and I mean the amount I can count on 1 hand that drove temps way down into the single digits teens. I hope we can get more support at 12z

Last edited:
This pattern is teetering on the knife’s edge between ? and amazing as we close out the month.

The -NAO trends we saw the last few days have mostly continued (save the GEFS which I suspect is out to lunch in that regard) & I still can’t help but be cautiously optimistic overall as result.

These -NAO/-PNA tug-of-wars are usually how you end up getting Cold Air Damming events/ice storms in the Carolinas & Virginia, and I suspect we may see a legitimate medium range signal for one crop up before long if things continue the way they have been

This pattern is teetering on the knife’s edge between ? and amazing as we close out the month.

The -NAO trends we saw the last few days have mostly continued (save the GEFS which I suspect is out to lunch in that regard) & I still can’t help but be cautiously optimistic overall as result.

These -NAO/-PNA tug-of-wars are usually how you end up getting Cold Air Damming events/ice storms in the Carolinas & Virginia, and I suspect we may see a legitimate medium range signal for one crop up before long if things continue the way they have been
Eps plumes exploded this run after D10 with no real good clustering to give any help. I swear it looks like almost every 1-2 degrees from 30-70 is covered by a member some days

Eps plumes exploded this run after D10 with no real good clustering to give any help. I swear it looks like almost every 1-2 degrees from 30-70 is covered by a member some days

Very little margin for error here in this kind of pattern between getting severe weather or cold rain-icy CAD, esp if we see more polar blocking show up north of Alaska to steepen the height gradient even more across the east-central US.

The margin for error has shrunk even beyond the next week or two. We’ve made things really interesting in the long range by sticking a blocking high into the N Atlantic while trying to initiate a sudden stratospheric warming event at nearly the same time. If that block sticks around long enough to see this SSWE through, it may not go away until March

Think we need to stay patient here (always a fun activity) and wait until this "modeled" TPV drops into Hudson Bay, and then see if we can get less amplified waves running more west to east along the southern boundary of the trough, at a time when we should have more high pressure to our north, and a colder profile aloft and at the surface. Prior to that, it's going to be tough as the waves are going to be more amplified and running more SW to NE (more warm risks). Would also like to see recent improving trends continue, but one has to wonder if we are approaching our limits on improvements.

Applicable mages here are for Jan 25 to Jan 31 on the EPS...

JoNJBae.gif

MvUhm1f.gif

PVbGE0J.gif

1XGP3UZ.gif

Last edited:
Think we need to stay patient here (always a fun activity) and wait until this "modeled" TPV drops into Hudson Bay, and then see if we can get less amplified waves running more west to east along the southern boundary of the trough, at a time when we should have more high pressure to our north, and a colder profile aloft and at the surface. Prior to that, it's going to be tough as the waves are going to be more amplified and running more SW to NE (more warm risks). Would also like to see recent improving trends continue, but one has to wonder if we are approaching our limits on improvements.

JoNJBae.gif

MvUhm1f.gif

PVbGE0J.gif

1XGP3UZ.gif
I suspect less patience is needed for our Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennesee crew.

Everyone thinks I live in Between because it's between Atlanta and Athens. Actually, it's because I live between the best winter weather chances when the cold is stubbornly stuck in NW Georgia or CAD systems that hammer NE Georgia and the Carolinas while enjoying my 33 and rain.

JoNJBae.gif

MvUhm1f.gif

PVbGE0J.gif

1XGP3UZ.gif
My untrained eye sees one brief window. Maybe 24-48hrs before it all relaxes out

JoNJBae.gif

MvUhm1f.gif

PVbGE0J.gif

1XGP3UZ.gif
Yeah… even though the Euro was not far off at all today at 12z, you would definitely like to see a bit more in the way of more west to east flow across the south. OTH if you get the right timing on the phase of that Euro storm, you get a great set up for a widespread snowstorm for the Carolinas and N GA… even with marginal temperatures

I suspect less patience is needed for our Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennesee crew.

Everyone thinks I live in Between because it's between Atlanta and Athens. Actually, it's because I live between the best winter weather chances when the cold is stubbornly stuck in NW Georgia or CAD systems that hammer NE Georgia and the Carolinas while enjoying my 33 and rain.
I feel you, brother. Life on the I-20 corridor in GA is brutal. Eight years ago, I moved from just north of the 285/400 interchange to just south of it, and my snow totals have been cut about 30%. ?

High 49 today. Already 24th wettest January on record here and a lot more to come.

Been an el nino winter here, most of it. Regardless of what official charts say. California getting drenched every 3 to 5 days

Last edited:
Sorry guys I'm not biting. That probably doesn't surprise most here. But until the teles improve I'm skeptical. NAO is neutral, AO is volatile, some deep negative members but more are positive. So neutral seems like a good bet for now. PNA falls off a cliff end of the month, very bad. Finally the MJO seems to want to make a run at phase 4. We can have most teles in our favor and still torch obviously but can we have most teles against us and end up cold? Probably not but we'll see.

Back