• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

It would be amazing if we could forecast this well a month and more away. It just isn’t true. We saw last winter long range guidance flip by the time those periods verified. Long way to go folks. Everyone save these images so we can repost when charlotte keeps its streak alive! Cheers!!
I want a blizzard man, trust me. At the very least, the cold will be on our side, but we have things going against us. Classic case of nina Feb screwing us over is 2021, that January had an overextended pacific jet. And models starting honing in on some legit cold air with a big cold shot that feb, but the MJO was unfavorable and I recall a accuweather met saying that and saying the east would miss out/be warmer ans went against the models because tropical forcing was unfavorable, but I clowned that met because models said the opposite of him. Well I ate those words because over time, models started backing it up west (jet retracted and Aleutian ridge showed up) and matched what you would typically see with a nina Feb/MJO in the maritime continent, and I got absolutely burned. Feb 2021 has a dark place in my brain. I’m not trying to be pessimistic to be a ass, but rather, I’m going with the stacked odds that go against us right now because if something goes right, then it’s a pleasant surprise and a great feeling because nothing was suppose to happen, but if it goes according to plan, then at least I won’t be dissapointed because I kinda figured it wasn’t gonna happen. Living by that mindset saves a lot of doubt and pain. Feb 2021 taught me a lot

If you’re one of those looking for hope, you can’t be too mad at the 18z gefs. you want that SE Canada vortex to further amplify with this look, and dig more. Personally to me it’s not a great look to me because the -PNA already favors a cutting storm track, but at the very least, the SE Canada vortex would be rooted to some pretty cold air by then. But this is rather a look for ice/sleet if your hoping for wintry. The general H5 pattern favors a WAA regime over the SE aloft. But This look right here, isn’t very warm though honesty at the SFC Initially. That’s a Pretty classic cold rain look based off this exact look. In general though this isn’t a great pattern because the heights out west are lowered (-PNA) and that will always result in a trash storm track 02F34F95-B1DA-493E-A4DD-AEF3ED755A88.png3760F2A0-C067-4E6F-83EB-849F6911B311.png7F2482D2-DB71-4633-8B54-0CA647A36B38.pngA91BA801-44BC-4C13-9D06-34CC4F4881ED.png

It would be amazing if we could forecast this well a month and more away. It just isn’t true. We saw last winter long range guidance flip by the time those periods verified. Long way to go folks. Everyone save these images so we can repost when charlotte keeps its streak alive! Cheers!!

Not every forecast is the anywhere near the same in terms of predictability + difficulty, this one coming up in the first half of February is a high confidence forecast (some like me would argue a slam dunk) relative to the lead time given the alignment of many factors all consistently pointing towards one general outcome (-PNA/SE ridge). In many cases (actually a majority of the time out to week 3-4 over the CONUS) you can forecast w/ skill above climatology out to a month in advance (or better than coin flip odds), as the Subx subseasonal forecasting experiment has proven using bias corrected multi-model ensemble means. Operational models hold very little-no value after several days, while ensembles can be over damped (clustering is important!). Most people who don't grasp the intrinsic value of multi-model ensembles and the basics of subseasonal dynamics + how they interact with weather & climate aren't able to see these sorts of things & just assume every forecast is bad because it's "x" number of days out.

You simply can't look at this time period the same way you would an operational short-medium range forecast. You always have to think bigger, broader picture & how certain phenomena may interact with either climate variability (like ENSO) or potentially influence the probability distribution of planetary waves in certain times of the forecast period & how those planetary waves will self-evolve + interact with momentum sources & sinks.

SubX_HSS_CONUS_z500_Year.png

Need to see it continue, but improvement shown here on the GEFS on Jan 27th (trend loop of last 10 runs), particularly over Greenland, 50/50 region, and SE U.S.

o8W9CjG.gif

YHfVJI7.gif

Don't you bring that reality into the conversation. I was expecting my Bermuda to look like July by valentines day
Well you just killed it with a hard frost in April. Thanks for also killing spring severe weather season. I quit….(dots added for dramatic effect).

Not every forecast is the anywhere near the same in terms of predictability + difficulty, this one coming up in the first half of February is a high confidence forecast (some like me would argue a slam dunk) relative to the lead time given the alignment of many factors all consistently pointing towards one general outcome (-PNA/SE ridge). In many cases (actually a majority of the time out to week 3-4 over the CONUS) you can forecast w/ skill above climatology out to a month in advance (or better than coin flip odds), as the Subx subseasonal forecasting experiment has proven using bias corrected multi-model ensemble means. Operational models hold very little-no value after several days, while ensembles can be over damped (clustering is important!). Most people who don't grasp the intrinsic value of multi-model ensembles and the basics of subseasonal dynamics + how they interact with weather & climate aren't able to see these sorts of things & just assume every forecast is bad because it's "x" number of days out.

You simply can't look at this time period the same way you would an operational short-medium range forecast. You always have to think bigger, broader picture & how certain phenomena may interact with either climate variability (like ENSO) or potentially influence the probability distribution of planetary waves in certain times of the forecast period & how those planetary waves will self-evolve + interact with momentum sources & sinks.

View attachment 130328
We get it already..... can you come back in Late February when you have something positive to say. We have heard enough of how we are going to torch the next 6 weeks. Dear Lord, give it a rest!

We get it already..... can you come back in Late February when you have something positive to say. We have heard enough of how we are going to torch the next 6 weeks. Dear Lord, give it a rest!
Man's just telling it like it is. I mean I'm a half full guy but there's not much to be optimistic about currently.

Man's just telling it like it is. I mean I'm a half full guy but there's not much to be optimistic about currently.
I believe he is calling like he sees it, but forecast trends within 10 days have improved. Lots to be optimistic about...been below normal last 3 days in BHam.;) It's mid-january

Back