• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

MJO or not, we're generally pretty screwed in early-mid February; SE ridge on steroids.

Sure, we could sneak a winter storm by a stroke of amazing unforeseen synoptic luck, but I'd probably punt this winter until at least Feb 20th outside the mountains if you're looking for a consistently decent pattern

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 7.48.28 AM.png

gfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-globe-chi200_anom_15day-6332800.png

rQQnGAvCzi.pnggfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_30day-6678400.png

MJO or not, we're generally pretty screwed in early-mid February; SE ridge on steroids.

Sure, we could sneak a winter storm by a stroke of amazing unforeseen synoptic luck, but I'd probably punt this winter until at least Feb 20th outside the mountains if you're looking for a consistently decent pattern

View attachment 130264

View attachment 130265

View attachment 130263View attachment 130262
Idc what anything shows anyone that punts a whole month of Winter away has lost their Frigging minds. That's just crazy when anyone knows weather and Model data can change in a hurry!

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

You mean mostly above average.
No, I mean average. 00z EPS out to 360hrs looking at 500mb height... if you look from day 7 until the end fo the run my backyard has 16 segments that are neutral, 10 that are just one or two anomalies above average, and 5 days that are one or two anomalies below average.

It's fine if you want to think we torch, and maybe we do... you have made some good points. But the ensembles are not even close to showing a torch in the viewable range right now. A torch is getting under a ridge like you see the in the gulf of alaska on this map. Being one anomaly above normal on a 300hr ensemble mean is not torchy. Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.47.57 AM.png

Idc what anything shows anyone that punts a whole month of Winter away has lost their Frigging minds. That's just crazy when anyone knows weather and Model data can change in a hurry!

I hear this all the time from my friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people here have been in denial for weeks and don’t objectively look at things/ let their own desire for snow/cold muddle how they perceive the extended range. I know very well what I’m doing and we’ll revisit this in several weeks.

No, I mean average. 00z EPS out to 360hrs looking at 500mb height... if you look from day 7 until the end fo the run my backyard has 16 segments that are neutral, 10 that are just one or two anomalies above average, and 5 days that are one or two anomalies below average.

It's fine if you want to think we torch, and maybe we do... you have made some good points. But the ensembles are not even close to showing a torch in the viewable range right now. A torch is getting under a ridge like you see the in the gulf of alaska on this map. Being one anomaly above normal on a 300hr ensemble mean is not torchy. View attachment 130266

This whole post just sounds like wishcasting.

I hear this all the time from my friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people here have been in denial for weeks and don’t objectively look at things/ let their own desire for snow/cold muddle how they perceive the extended range. I know very well what I’m doing and we’ll revisit this in several weeks.
Yeah and I know good and well you've been wrong before too quit a bit actually. I don't care how much you know what you're doing you don't always get it right.

Yeah and I know good and well you've been wrong before too quit a bit actually. I don't care how much you know what you're doing you don't always get it right.

Sounds like more wishcasting to me. This objectively isn’t a good pattern we’re going into and it’s not going to get any better for the foreseeable future/next several weeks.

Why do you get so upset when people think positive?

I’m just trying to set folks straight and give them a dose of reality. “Always being positive” leads to wishcasting and in some cases just flat out denial. That’s fine and all but it’s hard to be objective with that kind of mindset.

If things looked good going forward, I’d be certain to let you know about it like I did in November and December when a legit pattern did show up (but we failed to capitalize)

I’m just trying to set folks straight and give them a dose of reality. “Always being positive” leads to wishcasting and in some cases just flat out denial. That’s fine and all but it’s hard to be objective with that kind of mindset.

If things looked good going forward, I’d be certain to let you know about it like I did in November and December when a legit pattern did show up (but we failed to capitalize)
100 percent agree with u webber. as long these storms keep slamming the west coast. winter will be hard to get anywhere east of the ms river. pattern forward looks very la ninish to me. as we go forward i only see the se ridge get even stronger.

Back