• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Jalapeño July

We could be watching history. As amazing as it would be, Gainesville, FL, has a legitimate chance over the next 2 days to exceed in July the incredibly high amounts of rain it got in June, which was 16.86"! They are now nearing 15". What's extra amazing is that all of this rain in June and July fell without a TC nearby. Furthermore, the city had been in a very bad drought just prior to this! How about that as an example of moving from one extreme to the other!

Edit: I had put together this post without having seen the 0Z CMC's progged 8" of rainfall over the next 48 hours there! Now that's "crazy". Other 0Z models have a more sane 1-2". The 12Z CMC had 2.5" or so.

It appears that Gainesville is already up to 1.92" for today, which brings them up to 16.70" for July. According to Phil, that is a new record high for July there that follows the new record high that was just established in June! That makes it 33.64" at GNV just since June 1st and all without the aid of a nearby TC!!! I wonder how much water is currently at the bottom of Devil's Millhopper, a huge sinkhole there.

It appears that Gainesville is already up to 1.92" for today, which brings them up to 16.70" for July. According to Phil, that is a new record high for July there that follows the new record high that was just established in June! That makes it 33.64" at GNV just since June 1st and all without the aid of a nearby TC!!! I wonder how much water is currently at the bottom of Devil's Millhopper, a huge sinkhole there.
You wouldn't want to swim there!

16.65" (2013) was the old record.
Love records but I wish some folks in SC and NC could get a good drink ... :cool:

Added as a Post Script -

The big trees got really stressed in the drought, and now the ground is so wet, the last thing N Central/NE Fla needs is a TC with any winds ...

Last edited:
Perhaps the Paynes Prairie basin will fill back up! I hear ya, Phil, about the trees. I think that is a region-wide issue this year.

Gosh, it's extremely dry out! The low DP's really are just exasperated the situation ! Sprinklers on full-tilt

After being swamped with sweat during my Friday evening walk, I'm looking forward to this evening's walk with what appear to be the most comfy (or least uncomfy) conditions since that early June cool spell due to lower dewpoints, nice breezes, and temps in the 80s instead of 90s.

If I hadn't just spent the day on a boat in Fort Walton Beach and Destin, Fl., eat some of the best pizza ever at Hellen Back Pizza, about to drink a cold one and get in the pool I'd totally be pissed I'm missing out on those cool temps back home. As it is right now I don't give a darn!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If I hadn't just spent the day on a boat in Fort Walton Beach and Destin, Fl., eat some of the best pizza ever at Hellen Back Pizza, about to drink a cold one and get in the pool I'd totally be pissed I'm missing out on those cool temps back home. As it is right now I don't give a darn!

you misspelled a word. damn ... :p

rb-animated.gif
Atlantic is coming alive tonight

JB says tropics going to get crunk, like Aug/Sept 2004 style!
I hope so, that brought us a lot of rains in the Carolinas!

Back at the homestead it appears it made it down to 57, my current location 69 which isn't so horrible by their normals for late July.
Also I picked up 2.21 with storms first week of July, 1.89 storms the other day with nothing in between but a July total of 4.1. My summer of feast or famine continues

Low 80s currently with the dewpoint below 60.

Unreal....didn't think it was possible with how rainy it was in July. Not humid at all and today has been like a hint of fall early with how crisp it is which reminds me, I'm ready for college football. The break is too long. :\

Further to the above:

Wow, a dewpoint of 56 at SAV now on July 31st!! I'll surely be walking outside this evening!

However, this late month cool is not quite enough to bring it to cooler than normal. So, July will bring the SAV consecutive months warmer than normal streak to a whopping 18!! Be that as it may, August's cool start may give it the best shot in a long time of stopping the streak though the chill is currently forecasted to be much stronger vs normal in the central US than in the SE US for the first half of the month.

Back