• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

Last night was incredible. The first big thing was a possible mesovort in the remnant eyewall. I saw the flash of the transformers in the distance, I then heard trees popping. I will never forget the roar. I’ve never personally have heard a tornado, but the freight train rumble sent chills up my spin and had me running for porch door. I could hear it moving closer and then move away. Whether or not it touched down I don’t know, but I’ll remember that sound forever.

The second and main event happened after the remnant eyewall moved by. I’ve never seen winds as strong as that. I have little doubt we had sustained winds of 35-45mph with gusts over 60mph if not close to 70mph. It actually looked like a hurricane outside.

Tons of trees are down and the whole area still has many power lines down. All in all, Zeta didn’t disappoint.
The roar of a tornado that is very close, 75-100 yards away, is unmistakable, and something I never want to experience again!

Question can zeta be retired even though it was from the Greek alphabet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night was incredible. The first big thing was a possible mesovort in the remnant eyewall. I saw the flash of the transformers in the distance, I then heard trees popping. I will never forget the roar. I’ve never personally have heard a tornado, but the freight train rumble sent chills up my spin and had me running for porch door. I could hear it moving closer and then move away. Whether or not it touched down I don’t know, but I’ll remember that sound forever.

The second and main event happened after the remnant eyewall moved by. I’ve never seen winds as strong as that. I have little doubt we had sustained winds of 35-45mph with gusts over 60mph if not close to 70mph. It actually looked like a hurricane outside.

Tons of trees are down and the whole area still has many power lines down. All in all, Zeta didn’t disappoint.

That's crazy sounding and I was looking at the Alexander City obs last night because that was also the closest to my parents and they gusted to 62 at least and over 45 mph for 2 hours

The forecasts definitely verified there

That's a good question we probably won't know til the spring meeting of the WMO but what I'm wondering more broadly is if there will be a push to ditch the greek names for some other method(going to numbers or another regular list etc) especially if we have another significant hurricane which definitely can't be ruled out looking at the models

Brad P mentioned something about this as Delta was approaching the coast. The name Zeta won’t be retired, but on the retired name list it would be listed as Zeta-2020

I didn’t lose power with Zeta, but I just did. Unbelievable.
Good luck....just got an ETA on the west side for 11/1 at 11 pm.
GA power restored power to 490,000 today. There is 280,000 left to fix. A friend in Buckhead got a message for middle of next week. Multiple transformers blew out in the city.

Good luck....just got an ETA on the west side for 11/1 at 11 pm.
GA power restored power to 490,000 today. There is 280,000 left to fix. A friend in Buckhead got a message for middle of next week. Multiple transformers blew out in the city.
Just got our power back in Newnan Ga. It was out for 18 hours and 2 minutes.

Back