• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

I do wonder what the guest at a place like sassafras or ceasers head was this morning. Both being above 3,000 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost 1/2 million customers without power in NC, I saw where Ga was almost at 1 million, how many in SC, Al, Va and La? This is literally going to put millions in the dark.... insane and seems to have been without much "fanfare"

It’s 2020, baring an asteroid impact or alien invasion (which already happened) no one bats an eye.

Cant go to work because theres no gas stations open. My town is a ghost town people homes are destroyed trees are down power lines down. My trees are down in my yard "oak" trees. Chain saw comes in handy. I bet winds were cat3 or higher here last night. Theres no way that hurricane hit at just a cat 2. For it to be a fast mover it seemed forever to be over with. What a nightmare

Quite a storm. I am in Jasper, Ga. Currently living in a townhouse, so do not have yard clean-up per say. Power went off just shy of 5 am and luckily came back on around 7 am. Living in town, approx 1,385 ft in elevation. Wind and rain, saw a couple of lightning flashes, no thunder. Do not have a feel for how gusty wind was here ... probably a few gusts over 45 to 50 or so. I am certain higher at elevation. Storm moved very, very quickly.

Ridge outside of town about 10-15 minutes away is over 3,000 feet. Plan to get out shortly and ride around. Heard of several trees down and roads blocked in Bent Tree, a local golf course community. I have not heard from Big Canoe, another community just outside of Jasper. Praying there are no injuries ... have lived with trees around my home and it is unsettling in situtions like this.

From what I have gathered, this was overall not nearly as bad as Opal, but this system was moving much faster than Opal which hopefully helped. Still, for individuals this is very bad so thinking about them.

I am always awed by the weather ... stay safe out there.

What a rare weather day here. Started out with tropical storm conditions, an inch of rain and a 55mph wind gust, and we are now at 81F and sunny, still with those 25-35mph gusts blowing through. Not to mention the potential for severe wx later on

Greenville (GUC) is up to about 3K customers without service, I’m one of the them, lost power about an hour ago. A large oak fell on the main transmission line and took out a couple polls in the process. There’s a good bit of chainsaw work before they are even ready to start dropping in new polls and running new line, including cable.

wouldnt the fact that this storm was moving faster than Opal mean it would be worse since winds would be stronger ?
[/QUOTE]
Suppose it could work both ways ... if storm is stronger when it comes in, some logic would say that the winds would be stronger as it moves through. Other logic says slower movement means that you may get sustained winds for a longer period of time over a location as well. I think that was a big factor with Opal. I also believe, can't remember specifics, that we had more smaller tornadoes with Opal and that does not appear to be the case with Zeta.

Not interested in debating the topic though ... just my humble observation. If someone was hit hard, or at worse, injured/killed, as I have read that now there are 3 around Atlanta, it does not matter which storm was stronger.

2d5acb0873d2e648e09341f336488820.jpg

29bdbce348d5e21dab394dfcd5f3d84f.jpg

1746bab7b4d73b7c2c86f86a31107335.jpg

Took a drive around Trees down is very common.

Thankfully not a whole lot of damage that I saw from my place in East Cobb county Georgia up to Carters Lake in Gilmer County where I keep my boat. There were a few trees down, and quite a bit of dark intersections that I'm sure local signal techs and power companies are working diligently to get back operational. Not much rain here either, just over an inch. I'm sure there were some south or southeast facing mountain ridges that took quite a beating though.

Back