• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

Seems like those and Leyland Cypress, both engineered, were the things to plant in the 90s. Now the Bradford pears are spreading everywhere. One fell on my last house. I wouldn’t hesitate cutting every one down with weather like this possible.
Leyland Cypress is incredibly weak, it topples over so fast ! My neighbor planted some in his backyard as a screen , they grow and fill in nicely but he has already lost one .

MRX finally posted a wind advisory for us. Meanwhile, our GA suburbs(border counties) have a tropical storm warning.. Something's a little sketchy there.

Boubon Street nearly in the eyewall not looking to bad, its a much different experience in the taller buildings I bet....

The good news for ATL and much of the SE is that the rainfall won't be that bad due to very fast movement. But the bad news is that the ATL area is facing a once in a 25 year tropical cyclone related widespread several hour high wind event. With today's previously unforecasted strengthening up to high end cat 2 through landfall (and still at peak as of 6 PM) and with the progged faster than Opal movement to far NW GA, ATL is facing another major Opal-like event that will likely be remembered for a long time. It will be a real mess within 9-12 hours.

Opal was at ~115 when it made landfall (with SLP in the 950s I think) and was moving ~30 mph when it came closest to ATL. Also, it was weakening on landfall. Zeta is a little weaker at 110 with 970 SLP, but it is not coming in during a weakening period. Also, it is progged to be moving ~50 mph as it gets close!! So, this all tells me to expect another Opal like event!

Yesterday I had forecasted 45 for KATL's highest gust. Later I upped in to the lower 50s I think. Now , I'm thinking 55-60.

Back