• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

Good luck....just got an ETA on the west side for 11/1 at 11 pm.
GA power restored power to 490,000 today. There is 280,000 left to fix. A friend in Buckhead got a message for middle of next week. Multiple transformers blew out in the city.
I used to live in Decatur. Worked at Grady. Cannot even imagine. Prayers for you all.

GA power restored power to 490,000 today. There is 280,000 left to fix. A friend in Buckhead got a message for middle of next week. Multiple transformers blew out in the city.

Im on Cobb EMC, though I have no idea if that is going to make a difference.

I just don't get how Opal was worse when Opal was weakening before landfall and Zeta was strengthening. I though strengthening canes were more dangerous ?
I just go by what I see. We had more and larger trees down with Opal in my neck of the woods and it was still a 60mph storm when it went through.

I just go by what I see. We had more and larger trees down with Opal in my neck of the woods and it was still a 60mph storm when it went through.

I vaguely remember Opal, though the Blizzard of 96 I remember very well, just maybe that could happen again??

I just don't get how Opal was worse when Opal was weakening before landfall and Zeta was strengthening. I though strengthening canes were more dangerous ?
Opal was far worse here. It is my understanding that hurricanes that had been stronger then weakened are more dangerous. I think Wilma was a good example of this.

I'm in SW Atlanta and have the same estimated restore time as well.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Imagine how bad the damage would have been if we didn’t have those three weeks of almost zero rain. We had the big rain day the Saturday before, but the ground soaked it in.

Off topic:

Hey Arcc, what is your elevation? Isn't your location where the Appalachian chain basically dies out? I always found it interesting that the hills went that far south. That probably enabled some higher wind gusts from Zeta too.

Off topic:

Hey Arcc, what is your elevation? Isn't your location where the Appalachian chain basically dies out? I always found it interesting that the hills went that far south. That probably enabled some higher wind gusts from Zeta too.

Yes at the very bottom of the chain. I think I sit somewhere around 800ft in Coosa county. We stayed at the in-laws house in southern Clay county for the storm due to the five or six 150 year old oak trees near my house. However going to work yesterday I noted something interesting. Tree damage is worse in Talladega county and Coosa county than Clay. Once you pass Millerville in southern Clay, the damage grows. Goodwater which is close to where I lived has tons of tree damage including the roof of an old build ripped off, yet all the tree damage my house received was just debris and one small tree that fell in my pasture.

I don’t know how Cleburne county fared damage wise, but so far I’m wondering if the friction from the mountains may have actually faired better. The mountains funneled the wind into the valleys and made more or less wind tunnels while protecting the mountain areas. The damage in areas where you have fields nearby is notably higher in South Talladega in these areas.

Yes at the very bottom of the chain. I think I sit somewhere around 800ft in Coosa county. We stayed at the in-laws house in southern Clay county for the storm due to the five or six 150 year old oak trees near my house. However going to work yesterday I noted something interesting. Tree damage is worse in Talladega county and Coosa county than Clay. Once you pass Millerville in southern Clay, the damage grows. Goodwater which is close to where I lived has tons of tree damage including the roof of an old build ripped off, yet all the tree damage my house received was just debris and one small tree that fell in my pasture.

I don’t know how Cleburne county fared damage wise, but so far I’m wondering if the friction from the mountains may have actually faired better. The mountains funneled the wind into the valleys and made more or less wind tunnels while protecting the mountain areas. The damage in areas where you have fields nearby is notably higher in South Talladega in these areas.

Coosa may have taken more damage being a little closer to the core, and being southeast of the core where the highest winds were. The southwest winds riding up the elevation changes there could have really caused some damage to some trees. The winds would have been riding elevation change from a couple hundred feet all the way up over 1000' in some areas in Coosa County. I hope none of your oaks were damaged, 150 year old oaks would be some prized landscaped trees.

Capture.PNG

Coosa may have taken more damage being a little closer to the core, and being southeast of the core where the highest winds were. The southwest winds riding up the elevation changes there could have really caused some damage to some trees. The winds would have been riding elevation change from a couple hundred feet all the way up over 1000' in some areas in Coosa County. I hope none of your oaks were damaged, 150 year old oaks would be some prized landscaped trees.

View attachment 51422

You would never know winds were 50-70mph at my home. The only tree down is a small measly tree in my pasture. My house is a 140 years old and unlike most today was strategically placed to take advantage of location and I’m more or less in a bowl between ridges. I do like my oak trees although I’m loosing one and I’ll have to have it cut in the next year.

All is good here except for the three downed power lines that feed power up my road. I’m probably out of power for another day or so.

Back