• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Sam

Sam is recurving here but would it still hit further up the east coast? We'll never know because this run is over!

fuXW9wT.png

Sam is recurving here but would it still hit further up the east coast? We'll never know because this run is over!

fuXW9wT.png

Was not recurving much still moving NW on the last 3 plots, extrap it out and it would be SC/NC border, the real key is the ULL over the lower Ohio valley, that makes me very nervous.....

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021092300_240_35_149.png

If that ULL drifts SW at all we got problems...assuming this is what the map actually looks like in 10 days....

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021092300_240_35_310.png

0Z EPS is at this point more threatening than the prior run but we'll see what % recurve before the CONUS. Looks like an arrow pointed for the CONUS here but I still expect a good % to recurve pretty sharply later in the run. We'll know soon:

Ofu4B94.png

Edit: Most did recurve sharply and only a couple of members hit the CONUS (NC).

d79DklY.png

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the gulf storm that the gfs has been showing past few runs now

Was not recurving much still moving NW on the last 3 plots, extrap it out and it would be SC/NC border, the real key is the ULL over the lower Ohio valley, that makes me very nervous.....

View attachment 91338

If that ULL drifts SW at all we got problems...assuming this is what the map actually looks like in 10 days....

View attachment 91339
Almost giving me Hugo Vibes

View attachment 91338

View attachment 91339
Yeah just about out of time for a completely clean recurve here and numerous less that desirable scenarios are possible. It's good to see many of the eps on the map posted above with an earlier safer turn and just looking through the eps data we have a few around here that produce high rain totals but the wind gusts aren't anything crazy so I'm assuming they are more related to the ull/fronts than Sam. Playing with fire here though any model adjustments toward the euro are not good but if the Euro goes toward other models then it's not a big deal for most posters on this board

At least the general trend of the eps has been south/stronger with the trough and the axis stays off shore. If the mean starts backing the trough axis west and getting more of a cut off look it might be time to get nervous f69b16d7-35f4-47b4-89ca-8389548d7ad9.gif

At least the general trend of the eps has been south/stronger with the trough and the axis stays off shore. If the mean starts backing the trough axis west and getting more of a cut off look it might be time to get nervous View attachment 91344

Need to dig up some maps of what the setup was for Fran, seems she had a fairly similar path to what the 00Z Euro showed and had a ULL over the mid deep south if I recall correctly that let her come more NW and deep inland....

Interesting should this storm miss the s/e a lot of areas look to go 384+ hours without any rain per model consensus. A weakened state would be nice like a CAT1 otherwise the weather is set to be fairly dry. Feast or famine take your pick.

Need to dig up some maps of what the setup was for Fran, seems she had a fairly similar path to what the 00Z Euro showed and had a ULL over the mid deep south if I recall correctly that let her come more NW and deep inland....
Yeah I believe that's right. In this case, there's a awful lot of work that needs to be done for a big SE hit. A track avoiding the SE is highly favored right now.

Just looking at the upper air analogs from the GFS and finding systems active at the time you have:

Josephine 1984
Daisy 1962
Ginny 1963
Sutrop Depression 22 2005
Jeanne 2004

Back