• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Sally Inland Effects

It must be the tropical nature of this rain and just how much moisture is available, but man I’ve not been overly impressed with the rain that I’ve seen this morning at least when you compare to what the radar has been showing the last several hours, but when I checked my rain gauge about 15 minutes ago, I’m already at 2.7 inches and quickly approaching 3.

It must be the tropical nature of this rain and just how much moisture is available, but man I’ve not been overly impressed with the rain that I’ve seen this morning at least when you compare to what the radar has been showing the last several hours, but when I checked my rain gauge about 15 minutes ago, I’m already at 2.7 inches and quickly approaching 3.
Warm rain processes = smaller raindrops but much more of them, gives a deceiving look

Brad P says ex Sally is moving even faster now and will be gone 6 hours sooner than previously thought with clearing this afternoon! But that movement could also help spin up a tornado along coastal NC/SC counties IMO.

WRAL mets saying there might be a tornado watch for the Triangle later.
Coastal front is making slow progress toward the NW and likely has made it to the Burgaw/Whiteville/Wallace area. Problem is the LLC is really lagging at this point and we are about the dump a good amount of rain on the "cool" side of the boundary

Not sure where to post this so if needs to be moved it's ok. We had a house in Gulf Shores for the 23rd - 30th. Visitors are not being allowed back in that area until at least the 27th so our reservation has been cancelled. I am looking for a place east of the damaged area preferably Destin or Panama City. Were these places damaged at all, i.e. power out, stores and restaurants closed, golf courses closed? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Sitting at 1.05". Looks like some heavier returns moving into the RDU area, but it also looks like the bulk of the precipitation is trying to move through quickly. I would be surprised if I ended up with more than 2". But I'm not complaining; 2" is good enough for anybody...

5.2" was about our ending total.

This morning not long after the heaviest rain was kind of a **** show around the area. At least one road in downtown Augusta flooded, they were about ready to shut down Highway 25 in Waynesboro because of flooding (and somebody that had to come in late to test in our program because of computer issues said that she had to drive in water to get there), and based off some things that I saw, I think parts of Highway 56 also flooded a bit in spots (there was a lot of pooled water near the road).

Thankfully it receded by the time I got back in the car to head back on 56.

My county's school system will be closed tomorrow to work on the flooding issues as some of their schools had started having flooding problems.

Looks like any action in NC will be south and east of the Trinagle, which has been the case 99% of the time this year.

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 493
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
305 PM EDT THU SEP 17 2020

TORNADO WATCH 493 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NCC017-019-031-047-049-051-061-079-093-103-107-129-133-137-141-
155-163-165-191-180300-
/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0493.200917T1905Z-200918T0300Z/

NC
. NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BLADEN BRUNSWICK CARTERET
COLUMBUS CRAVEN CUMBERLAND
DUPLIN GREENE HOKE
JONES LENOIR NEW HANOVER
ONSLOW PAMLICO PENDER
ROBESON SAMPSON SCOTLAND
WAYNE

Pretty nice rain here. 1"+ Perfect for getting the fertilizer into the ground. Aeriated and over seeded 3 weeks back and had good germination, so put the fall fert down yesterday. Glad we got this one this far NW because the rest of the month looks dry.

Sitting at 1.05". Looks like some heavier returns moving into the RDU area, but it also looks like the bulk of the precipitation is trying to move through quickly. I would be surprised if I ended up with more than 2". But I'm not complaining; 2" is good enough for anybody...

If this were winter we'd be crying bloody murder bc this thing is dry slotting and quickly.

I don't know why so many were concerned with the rain totals. I get more out of a good summertime afternoon thunderstorm. However, this is much better for ground soaking and gardens/farms.

Pretty nice rain here. 1"+ Perfect for getting the fertilizer into the ground. Aeriated and over seeded 3 weeks back and had good germination, so put the fall fert down yesterday. Glad we got this one this far NW because the rest of the month looks dry.
Good to see someone else here that lives here in VA. The NRV is getting a thorough soaking.

Good to see someone else here that lives here in VA. The NRV is getting a thorough soaking.

Went to VT for grad school; love the NRV. My wife and I try to get up there to visit at least once a year if not more. Looks like Sally is going by leaving about 2 inches of rain IMBY and didn't need that with all the rain we have had this year but better than bone dry with fires.

Back