• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Milton

Wow! The 18Z ICON drives Milton right to the northern Yucatan coast.

Edited to add, look at Larry's precursor TS off the Florida coast too.
View attachment 152720
Yeahs that's a lot of early SE motion. If that's right then a father southeast landfall would be expected. Short term motion so we'll know soon enough if it's right

Models were showing these dual lows the other day and having difficulty in resolving which one would be dominant. I want to say the GFS actually showed both with some development at one point. I don't think it will change track all that much unless it really blows up
From the 5 PM NHC discussion. I'd call this evolution non-trivial.

"Milton is moving just south of due east at about 6 kt. This
equatorward motion has been more than expected probably due to a
stronger low/ mid-level frontal low over the northeastern Gulf of
Mexico. The frontal feature is forecast to weaken while it moves
across Florida and gradually lose its influence on Milton."

Yeah the big issue will be as it nears Florida it will become increasingly post tropical and that always expands the wind field. If you notice as soon as it clears Florida the NHC has it post tropical
Like Sandy..
Yep. And looking at the models it seems like there will be quite a strong surge along the East coast of northern Florida that’s being enhanced with the transition. That area rarely gets a strong surge from a hurricane.

18Z Icon landfalls like the 12Z at Sarasota but it is delayed til very late Wed night.
It wasn't long ago that we were expecting a storm to move on an anomalous ENE trajectory into the Florida peninsula. Now it looks to be approaching the coast on a more traditional NE to NNE path. This alone makes forecasting the ultimate landfall location more challenging.

Last edited:
Recon inbound shortly. I think they'll find about a 100mph CAT 2 cane before the mission is done.

The end-of-day visible presentation is impressive.

Back