• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ida

The scary fact is unless we see rapid weakening, that 120-135mph sustained wind will be realized over Lake Pontchartrain and drive a massive surge into the west of it.
TWC just said the same. And said it will push surge into Laplace, west of the lake, at the same time that Laplace is hit by the high winds.

Just for clarification, the Lake Borgne Surge Barrier has no bearing on levels in Lake Pontchartrain. There have been talks of an Oosterscheldekering-like structure to block surge coming into the estuary, but it's big money and has some pretty substantial ecological considerations to overcome.
So I thought they had built a floodwall there and locks at the Rigolets to prevent filling Ponchatrain from the sound prior to an incoming cane. No?

Going rapidly downhill at N.O. (Ignore the 32 dewpoints).

Intl Airport dropped 5 mb in the last hour and has 1/4 mile vis. There now is a whopping ~9 mb difference between there and Lakefront!

N.O. INTL ARPT HVY RAIN 77 32 19 E56G83 29.01F VSB 1/4

N.O. DWNTWN HE RAIN 78 76 93 MISG N/A VSB 1

N.O. LAKEFRONT HVY RAIN 77 32 19 E46G71 29.27F VSB 1/2

So I thought they had built a floodwall there and locks at the Rigolets to prevent filling Ponchatrain from the sound prior to an incoming cane. No?

The LBSB, despite it's large scale when standing beneath it, is somewhat small in the grand scheme of things. It is in red in the picture. It's job is to keep surge from entering the intracoastal/Industrial Canal and penetrating into the city core. There is no structure that limits flow between Pontchartrain and the Gulf/Lake Borgne.

Untitled.jpg

The LBSB, despite it's large scale when standing beneath it, is somewhat small in the grand scheme of things. It is in red in the picture. It's job is to keep surge from entering the intracoastal/Industrial Canal and penetrating into the city core. There is no structure that limits flow between Pontchartrain and the Gulf/Lake Borgne.

View attachment 89773
Thanks! I've been gone from home too long lol.

Anyone think this may get updated to a cat 5 after all the damage assessments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the video I’m seeing easily rivals the worst of Michael.

That would be crazy if it gets upgraded after the fact like Michael but I think it's possible. The lack of weakening for hours is another clue I know it was swamp but still. That's not normal

Last edited:
Anyone think this may get updated to a cat 5 after all the damage assessments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly, but I think they will have to find damage that suggests it over just recon. In Michael they had flight level winds when reduced for height reached Cat 5 at the surface(they don’t to my knowledge here) and surface wind measurement from the aircraft that backed it up along with sub920mb pressure. I did see a sonde in the northern eyewall that had 161mph at the surface here, so they may use it and be enough, but who knows.

Back