• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ida

f2db6883ba9b53c5a9830cd4bb22d57b.jpg

That eye though still looks absolutely perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess its been mentioned, but it's the anniversary of hurricane Katrina. I thought it was interesting for that??

It continues to go downhill in New Orleans and the pressure gradient is now up to 6 mb over just a 15 mile distance!

5 PM CDT:

N.O. INTL ARPT HVY RAIN 76 75 97 E48G74 29.16F VSB 1/2

N.O. DWNTWN HE HVY RAIN 77 75 93 E23G46 29.27F VSB 3/4

N.O. LAKEFRONT HVY RAIN 77 76 96 E54G78 29.34F VSB 1/2

Does anyone know exactly how much of a water rise would cause water to start topping over the levees?

This article says this about the West side. But it's breaching on the south side now.

"Starting with a giant surge barrier east of the city, the system is a 130-mile (210-kilometer) ring built to hold out storm surge of about 30 feet (9 meters). The National Hurricane Center on Friday projected Ida would bring a surge of 10 feet to 15 feet (3 to 4.6 meters) on the west bank.

At that level, it could come over the levees in some areas, said emergency manager Heath Jones of the Army Corps of Engineers’ New Orleans District.

“They’re designed to overtop in places” with protections against worse damage, including armoring, splash pads and pumps with backup generators, he said."

I've been thinking about the MRGO dam as well as the 32-foot floodgate that keeps Lake Borne from flooding Lake Ponchatrain. Thank God they were built, otherwise, this storm could have been so much worse. But, I can't help thinking about what a disaster it would be should particularly the Lake Borne gates, suddenly fail while holding back a 15-30 foot surge.

Just for clarification, the Lake Borgne Surge Barrier has no bearing on levels in Lake Pontchartrain. There have been talks of an Oosterscheldekering-like structure to block surge coming into the estuary, but it's big money and has some pretty substantial ecological considerations to overcome.

Back