• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Francine

My current situation:

giphy.gif

The radar right now south of Birmingham looks wicked. Gotta really watch for spin ups.
I am south of Birmingham right now and can tell you that the radar is a little misleading. I hurried home from the gym to beat the line of storms and it hasn't even thundered or lightninged. Just some light rain and windy. Maybe I'm not far enough south though. I'm only about 7 mi from downtown.

Can someone explain to me how we in Raleigh get rain effects from a tropical system 1000miles away and inland

Can someone explain to me how we in Raleigh get rain effects from a tropical system 1000miles away and inland

I could be wrong but I think some of it was from the front the other day. Even when it was still in the Gulf i noticed the front on the east side of it

Our retired meteorologist in Atlanta put out a fb post apologizing for the forecast of heavy rain. Said he talked to the NWS and they are baffled as to why we didn’t get the expected rain. Said the wedge was to strong to allow warm front to move north with the moisture.🤷🏻‍♂️

Our retired meteorologist in Atlanta put out a fb post apologizing for the forecast of heavy rain. Said he talked to the NWS and they are baffled as to why we didn’t get the expected rain. Said the wedge was to strong to allow warm front to move north with the moisture.🤷🏻‍♂️
They should have known better when they got in real time. When the first wave doesn't materialize, the models do not have a correct handle on the dynamics. They should have called an audible when that happened, plus taking into account the extremely dry air, and very strong CAD in place. His predecessor just keeps putting up 80% chances for rain all the while pointing at his future radar with nothing on it. It boggles the mind. Drought begets drought, always. When you have a summer pattern with that bubble ridge over Memphis, we will be dry and hot, it never fails.

They should have known better when they got in real time. When the first wave doesn't materialize, the models do not have a correct handle on the dynamics. They should have called an audible when that happened, plus taking into account the extremely dry air, and very strong CAD in place. His predecessor just keeps putting up 80% chances for rain all the while pointing at his future radar with nothing on it. It boggles the mind. Drought begets drought, always. When you have a summer pattern with that bubble ridge over Memphis, we will be dry and hot, it never fails.
Maybe whamby- but all I got to stay is these "wedges" better show up this winter. Period. And that's on Mary Had A Little Lamb!

Our retired meteorologist in Atlanta put out a fb post apologizing for the forecast of heavy rain. Said he talked to the NWS and they are baffled as to why we didn’t get the expected rain. Said the wedge was too strong to allow warm front to move north with the moisture.🤷🏻‍♂️
Sure breeds confidence when your local mets are “baffled”

Back