• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Francine

It seems as though this Storm weakened very fast!
It wasn't very strong to begin with. I don't think it truly was a Cat 2. It looked like a strong tropical storm, not a hurricane. In any case, it made landfall in the almost best possible spot to avoid much damage. I think it was hyped pretty good.

Looks like a nam snowstorm map lol. I agree with you, I think North Georgia and Atlantas totals are based on CAD and even that hasn’t turned out well lately.
I'd probably cut those totals by about 2/3rds. However, if training of storms happens due to the stalling progression of the remnants of Francine, some locally heavy amounts could materialize. That 15" is over three days and it's been really dry so I bet the ground can handle it.

Yeah, and over most of the same area too. It'll probably end up around 4-5 inches though unless a major band parks in the area.

Edit: it is still there on the 6z Euro too, but slightly farther east.
NBM has widespread 3" to 4" amounts for Atlanta. I think it would be very welcome. I'm discounting the Euro output for now.

Reed Timmer in the eyewall at Covodrie, LA with 6-8 ft of storm surge and 100 mph winds.

When and if you are logged in, it will take you to the video.

Pulled from the day 2 WPC Excessive Rainfall Discussion. Similar things mentioned for Day 3 as well.

“The combination of these features will likely result in a corridor of persistent low level convergence over TN/AL/GA. We should have plenty of moisture and instability in place as well, and thus a
notable flash flood risk could continue. We will carry a higher end Slight risk across portions of TN/AL/GA with this update. Depending on what happens on day 1 (impacting soil and streamflow
conditions) can not rule out needing a MDT risk over a portion of this area. However there is a bit more uncertainty on convective details by Friday compared to Thursday, and so would like to
continue to evaluate future high res model runs, as well as see how convection evolves today, before making any decision on an
upgrade. Either way flash flooding appears possible, and a locally considerable threat could evolve.”

Link

Back