• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Francine

Those are all for low-lying areas outside of the flood control structures. All the usual places that happen whenever a storm approaches.
Those places weren't the "usual" places until New Orleans got a beefed up levee system. The water has to go somewhere when it's not going where nature intended it to go, thus it's now wrecking the communities just outside of the levee's protection. Go ask the folks in Jean Lafitte how they feel about the levees after Hurricane Ida. I always thought the levee's were universally good. Those folks don't believe so!

Those places weren't the "usual" places until New Orleans got a beefed up levee system. The water has to go somewhere when it's not going where nature intended it to go, thus it's now wrecking the communities just outside of the levee's protection. Go ask the folks in Jean Lafitte how they feel about the levees after Hurricane Ida. I always thought the levee's were universally good. Those folks don't believe so!
Ida was a high-end cane. Apples and Oranges.

Jean Lafitte got wrecked in Hurricane Betsy in 65 long before flood protection systems of any substance were in place.

Ida was a high-end cane. Apples and Oranges.

Jean Lafitte got wrecked in Hurricane Betsy in 65 long before flood protection systems of any substance were in place.
So then compare Jean Laftitte post-Ida and post-Katrina to NOLA post-Ida and post-Katrina. There is merit to their claims. As for Hurricane Betsy, she wrecked all of Southern Louisiana, NOLA included.

I am not going to clog up this thread with a levee debate but I would recommend anyone to go to Southern Louisiana and have discussions with those folks on the matter. It's quite eye-opening really!

Six-hour radar plot shows Francine still on a path directly to N.O. I'm surprised the NHC didn't move the cone a tic east at 11 AM. Time is running out for the Greater New Orleans area to escape the eastern eyewall.

edit: The good news is atm, dry air has eroded the eastern eyewall. If this holds, N.O. metro will escape with minimal damage without heavy convection to transport strong gusts down to the surface.

Last edited:
So then compare Jean Laftitte post-Ida and post-Katrina to NOLA post-Ida and post-Katrina. There is merit to their claims. As for Hurricane Betsy, she wrecked all of Southern Louisiana, NOLA included.
I'm well aware. I was in Betsy.

Katrina, tracked to the NNE putting Jean Laffite on the north and then the northwest side of the storm unlike Ida which drove SE and S winds into lower Jefferson as it passed over and to the west.

12z Euro is a soaker Georgia and most of SE

qpf_acc-imp.us_se.png

Back