• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

GFS run impacts FL to NC. Seems like more and more we are getting the hit to FL and eventually going NE.

the question I have is does the circulation have enough structure left when it drifts back offshore to reorganize enough to hit NC as a cane, the wind field is liable to be pretty spread out so it would be very hard I think for it to tighten up the center enough to regain anything more than a weak TS status....

12z Legacy, same path as GFS, but lower pressure that might be better represented. Frankly, just more....gfs-legacy_apcpn_us_33.png

the question I have is does the circulation have enough structure left when it drifts back offshore to reorganize enough to hit NC as a cane, the wind field is liable to be pretty spread out so it would be very hard I think for it to tighten up the center enough to regain anything more than a weak TS status....
Problem is on that run of the GFS the center never gets too far inland, in fact partially over water at times.... shoot it even gets 50 mph wind gust back as far west as RDU

Problem is on that run of the GFS the center never gets too far inland, in fact partially over water at times.... shoot it even gets 50 mph wind gust back as far west as RDU

Is that from the interaction with the jet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but it spends a solid 40-48 hrs with the center over land even if it isnt that far inland that would be enough to really disrupt it.....but if enough of the core survives who knows....it spends about 30 hrs back over water though all of it probably within 50-100 miles of the coast.....still that will be some warm damn water.....

I think they are shifting north because of the strength I noticed on the last euro ensembles the strongest ones turn north faster so even an ots solution is on the cards if this was to slow down like is predicted imo

Better hope that trough up north catches it or it's gonna rain itself out.

Rivers are low but I dunno if they can handle 12-15" basin wide, the Neuse/Tar/Cape Fear would flood but minor or major is the question..and flash flooding would be very bad, lots of washed out roads that just got fixed last year would need to be replaced again....

UKMET Is really terrible this season it was horrible with Barry too

I know people say its good but I'm trying to remember when cause all I remember are fails

Agree, it has it's moments but the fact that it was further east this run is interesting. It's been the most west model until today.

High end cat 3 over Charleston oy! I was in Charleston a few months back and a thunderstorm flooded a lot of areas and closed roads.
YES....it hasn't had a direct hit in some time. Matthew offshore cat2 flooded the city. High tide would be a disaster.

Cat2 surge map at high tide.....anything bigger....you get the idea.

CHS_mom2h.png

Back