• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Hotober

Lol at the GFS! 53/30 in Tallahassee 47/29 in Raleigh and 40/25 dumping snow in Nashville... oh but DC is 50/33 and it gets warmer further north. On Halloween!

Am I the only one who remembers the non-stop absurd hour 384 runs on the Fv3 from January till March? where some runs brought -30 temps to central va and sub zero highs to nashville? Its going to be a long winter, the GFS is trash.

Lol at the GFS! 53/30 in Tallahassee 47/29 in Raleigh and 40/25 dumping snow in Nashville... oh but DC is 50/33 and it gets warmer further north. On Halloween!

Am I the only one who remembers the non-stop absurd hour 384 runs on the Fv3 from January till March? where some runs brought -30 temps to central va and sub zero highs to nashville? Its going to be a long winter, the GFS is trash.
Glad to see it is in mid-season form this early. Hasn't seen a deep eastern digital trough it doesn't like in the colder months.

GFS and ICON both have this blob of 50s. Let's see how horribly wrong they'll be
gfs_T2m_seus_13.png

This area received beneficial old-fashioned garden variety steady rains from ~10 PM last night through ~7 AM this morning. There was also additional rain late this morning. This all added up to ~2"! After a horribly dry couple of months, October has been surprisingly wet, mainly from this as well as the ~1.5" from 10/5. Hopefully many others will get in on good rains this weekend!

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the very best wx in terms of comfort since spring the next 2 days! I hope to be able to walk outside,

Last edited:

If all of the FV3 clown maps verified last winter most of us would have had a record shattering winter of snowfall.

First good blow of the fall season and acorns are pounding my roof like I have not heard in the 12 years I have been at this home. Don't go sideways with this question but are there any wives tales about monster acorns and winter weather:D

So, I'll be heading up to the Dayton/Spring City, TN area the first weekend of November. Is it looking like I should expect highs in the 30s-40s, lows down below freezing up there at this point? I know it's still some time to go, and this maybe should be for the Whamby thread or a November thread. At least, what kind of weather does east TN typically see around that time frame?

So, I'll be heading up to the Dayton/Spring City, TN area the first weekend of November. Is it looking like I should expect highs in the 30s-40s, lows down below freezing up there at this point? I know it's still some time to go, and this maybe should be for the Whamby thread or a November thread. At least, what kind of weather does east TN typically see around that time frame?
Highs in the 30s and 40s in Dayton, TN in early Nov would be pretty rare. I would think the avg high there in Early Nov would be in the 60s.

Snow is flying not too far from me. Burkes Garden, Virginia has snow showers. I assume Beech Mountain, NC will see some. Accumulations likely limited to WV where some is already on the grassy areas.

Average highs 66-68 during that time frame i imagine and average lows 44-46 .

Best bet is 50s or 60s for highs.. Youll get cooler nights out there than Chattanooga's forecast, since you'll be well away from uhi.

Looks like the average for that area is 60/35-38 for November, but idk what it'd be in the first week (probably a touch warmer).

That's your best guess for now, some have talked about how there might be a cold shot near the end of October with us entering November colder than normal but that's long range talk. I know one thing, at least right now I wouldn't be ready for typical weather there (especially for the evenings) because the in-situ CAD from that possible tropical-subtropical storm in Georgia that's been showing up has my eyebrows raised (even though it's going to require figuring out the track).

This will be fascinating to watch play out. I would even say the Euro sort of agrees but not really to the extent of what's been showing up on all the other models:

1571283138048.png

All of a sudden TWC on board with the sub 60 high here Saturday. NWS says 67 still. Interesting to see how this plays out

43 when I left at 630. May have dropped off another degree or 2. Regardless its the coldest morning of the season

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

43 when I left at 630. May have dropped off another degree or 2. Regardless its the coldest morning of the season

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
There was definitely a different feel in the air today, a little chill, crisp, refreshing

Back