• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Grading the 2020-21 meteorological winter

It's been many years since we had snow or sleet actually stick to the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we would've been 60 and sunny other than 33 and rainy it would've been an A. But that didn't happen so F-!!! Or WD

Big F+

I give it a + because it didn't torch and we stayed seasonal. But the constant cold rains, lack of real/helpful cold getting to the SE, the SE ridge, the western troughs, biggest unanimous model rug pull of all time were all terrible. All the while the middle of the country and the NE had all the winter weather they could handle. Very tough winter as a snow fan.

Lesson learned/my take away for the winter:

-NAO without pacific help requires a big trough/vortex in the NE and in the 50/50. Without it, it does little to assist the south east with cold, but give us a many, many cold rains.
-Consequential freezing rain storms are not really a thing south of VA.
-CAD is not always underdone on the models.
-+PNA is really important for the Southeast/Alaska needs to be warm for us to be really cold IMO.

D. Got 3" that was gone in 18 hours and probably 3 snow days that saw it falling from the sky and ended up with somewhere between a trace and 0.5". Other than that, I had 3 32 degree rains that had a little bit of ice in the trees and that was it. Colder than normal temps which was nice but I enjoy winter for 25% colder temps and no humidity but 75% wintry weather. I got the 25% but that 75% was basically nonexistent.

D.

One of the most miserable winters I can ever remember, I saw a trace of snow twice, so many close calls & missed opportunities. If we can make the setup later this week, then maybe I'll give this a C or B.

The only reason this winter is not getting an F from me is because I saw it snow on Christmas morning, hard to beat that.

1. Only 2-3 trace events, all gone by end of day
2. Absurd amounts of cold rain
3. Not sure if it’s true, but model accuracy felt lower than usual

Solid D for now (at least we had seasonable temps), but like @Webberweather53 said, opportunity for grade improvement this week

1. Only 2-3 trace events, all gone by end of day
2. Absurd amounts of cold rain
3. Not sure if it’s true, but model accuracy felt lower than usual

Solid D for now (at least we had seasonable temps), but like @Webberweather53 said, opportunity for grade improvement this week
Your grade can't change because this poll is for meteorological winter. Today is the first day of meteorological spring.

D....saw flakes in the air on Xmas for 10 mins.....and had 2" that hung out a few days but never covered roads in late Jan etc....cant think of any period below freezing for say longer than 36 hrs......lots and lots of rain in the 30's....

Your grade can't change because this poll is for meteorological winter. Today is the first day of meteorological spring.

I dunno I see it the same way this weekend could push me up to a C or better if we end up with measurable snow that pushes me too or over my average seasonal snowfall......any snowfall this weekend will be included in the 20-21 stats for snowfall.....the weather does not care it is March 1st.

C

Why?
Pros:
- Decently chilly winter.
- No torches
- A couple rounds of light snow here and there, as early as Nov 30th. Got a Christmas Eve snow shower which is always a fun time.
- not much, if any, of severe

Cons.
- lots of miserable cold CAD rain
- No ridiculous Arctic blasts
- no big winter snow storms

Overall, meh.

Back