• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Grading the 2020-21 meteorological winter

CyclonicFury

Meteorologist
Reaction score
How would you rate the 2020-21 meteorological winter at your location (DJF)?

I give it an overall grade of D for my location (Raleigh). Despite being the coldest winter at RDU since 2014-15 (and actually RDU's first cooler than normal winter since then!), snowfall ended up below average at only 1.6". This was RDU's least snowy winter since 2016-17, but coldest since 2014-15. Raleigh still fared better than areas like Greensboro, Charlotte, and Atlanta. GSP actually finished with 0.2" more snowfall than RDU. Despite being below normal overall, that was more a result of a lack of much above normal days (until very late February) rather than extreme cold (which this winter lacked here, just like last winter). RDU continues its sub-20F temperature drought as well, which began in late January 2019. Unlike the past two winters, there were a few novelty snow/sleet events that did not result in accumulation.

December wasn't terrible. Despite not having any measurable snow, I did get to see two separate brief periods of non-accumulating snow, including early Christmas morning! It's probably the closest you'll get to a white Christmas around here (and some areas west of the Apps did see some light accumulations). January was...fairly typical, with no temperature extremes. We got our only measurable snow early on January 28, about an inch and a half (1.6" at RDU) which melted very quickly. February was painful. Watching parts of Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and even Louisiana get crushed with historic snowfall, Raleigh finished with absolutely zero measurable snow. I would rate this month a "Z" if I could. It was actually a colder than normal month too!

The chance for snow isn't completely over yet, but meteorological winter pretty much is. How do you rate this winter?

For temps, I give it an A. I enjoy BN stuff, and I got that consistently. Plus first teens in almost 3 years. Snow wise , sucked. I got a quick 0.2” from that surprise upstate paste bomb but areas to my north got 3-4+. Had like 6-7 events of minor wintry precip, never accumulating other than that one. So snow wise, D-. Overall adds up to like a C+, saved by the temps

This is personally one of the worst winters i have experienced and this winter has brought my liking for winter to a all time low
1. Wall to wall blocking all winter long - flizzards to show for it
2. So much ------- cold rain CADs
3. No warm temps this winter (there’s normally some warmer days in winter
4. Hearing the word “close” all the time was the theme of this winter, frustrating to watch things not work out here
5. Not even a inch of snow, when I average 4 inches , i haven’t seen over a 1inch snow event since 2018, why should I be excited about winter time ? ---- is super frustrating
6. models were unusually terrible

Dang guess folks hate hearing the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's got 0 relevance to the topic of the thread and it's going to start 70 posts of back and forth that no one wants to read. I don't understand why you guys can't post things where they belong this thread is for grading winter. That's it. If you want to post about global warming there are 2 threads related to it and you can start a 3rd if you want

Actually you know what I'll just undelete it.

Last edited:
It's got 0 relevance to the topic of the thread. I don't understand why you guys can't post things where they belong.

It's like taking a sledgehammer to your car and grading how good it looks. Dumb as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For snow cover It was an epic winter in the mountains with at least some snow on the ground above 4500’ for a 77 day stretch that started on November 29.

it was an amazing good run considering it was consdiently just cold enough with the blocking in place. The consistent blocking we had was very rare to last the entire winter snd it saved us from the forecasted torch in the official winter forecasts.

A solid A-

I learned many years ago winter is never enjoyed in front of the computer screen looking at our fantasy model runs but instead is always enjoyed by getting outdoors and finding it.

FDC53073-6DC6-45F3-A3AF-2E30A9D2AA26.jpeg584D4F94-9F12-441C-B0FA-20FB971189EA.jpeg

Last edited:
This might be the worst I have experienced in the 21st century. Maybe even ever. No true warm ups for most of the winter, but also no winter precipitation or even significant/sustained cold. Atleast last year, we were mostly warm and not a lot of cold/cool rain events ,so it was nice outdoors. This winter ,we had plenty of cold rain events(at times even non-stop)and haven't been able to enjoy the outdoors nearly as much because of it. Also seeing areas from Texas-MS get 2-3 winter storms this winter alone was brutal to watch. Meanwhile the Midlands of SC winter storm less drought continues with no signs of it ending anytime. From top to bottom, this "winter" has been a epic fail.

Bog standard C this year.
I saw snow flakes and sleet fall probably 9 times, far more often than I remember, but it just never amounted to anything outside of some light ice glazing the Saturday before the MS week of weather and a brief 0.25" of snow during that week that melted rapidly. I was on the edge of the right gradient between the haves and the haves on, and it is not an enjoyable place to be.
Temps were better than usual, but nothing really extraordinary to speak of here.
It's been six years since the last good storm here. Kind of dampening my interest in it all.

I gave a C, only because we didn't torch one time and that never happens and that is a win in the South. The pattern was supposed to flip early to mid-January and it didn't happen until the end of February.

D. I did get a small 2" snow and multiple fliizards and light icing events. But I didn't get the larger (road closing) event. Lots of potential that never happened; basically to a point that I say we had bad luck this winter.

Back