• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Grading the 2020-21 meteorological winter

What grade do you give the 2020-21 meteorological winter?

• A

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • B

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • C

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • D

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • F

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

ajr

Reaction score
1. Only 2-3 trace events, all gone by end of day
2. Absurd amounts of cold rain
3. Not sure if it’s true, but model accuracy felt lower than usual

Solid D for now (at least we had seasonable temps), but like @Webberweather53 said, opportunity for grade improvement this week

Dewpoint Dan

Reaction score
1. Only 2-3 trace events, all gone by end of day
2. Absurd amounts of cold rain
3. Not sure if it’s true, but model accuracy felt lower than usual

Solid D for now (at least we had seasonable temps), but like @Webberweather53 said, opportunity for grade improvement this week
Your grade can't change because this poll is for meteorological winter. Today is the first day of meteorological spring.

Downeastnc

Reaction score
D....saw flakes in the air on Xmas for 10 mins.....and had 2" that hung out a few days but never covered roads in late Jan etc....cant think of any period below freezing for say longer than 36 hrs......lots and lots of rain in the 30's....

Downeastnc

Reaction score
Your grade can't change because this poll is for meteorological winter. Today is the first day of meteorological spring.
I dunno I see it the same way this weekend could push me up to a C or better if we end up with measurable snow that pushes me too or over my average seasonal snowfall......any snowfall this weekend will be included in the 20-21 stats for snowfall.....the weather does not care it is March 1st.

Reaction score
C

Why?
Pros:
- Decently chilly winter.
- No torches
- A couple rounds of light snow here and there, as early as Nov 30th. Got a Christmas Eve snow shower which is always a fun time.
- not much, if any, of severe

Cons.
- lots of miserable cold CAD rain
- No ridiculous Arctic blasts
- no big winter snow storms

Overall, meh.

SnowE73

Reaction score
C-, only because of a dusting of snow Christmas morning and a half inch of mostly sleet in February. Seemed like they were way too many cold rain events this year.

LukeBarrette

Reaction score
Giving it a B here in Roanoke. It would be a C if we didn’t have 2 inches last winter. 8-9 inches this year is solid. Picked up 6 from one of the storms.

Tarheel17

Reaction score
If I were rating temps I'd give it an A-. Only really missed on getting a very cold outbreak.

However, temps are only 5% of the grade for me when we miss out so badly on so many snow chances. Would rather not be in the game than lose painfully every. single. time.

Reaction score
One of the worst. Atlanta never really had any threats.
Yeah other than a few novelty flakes, you weren't actually doing much snow chasing if you lived in the area. Honestly, if I didn't get extremely lucky with a heavy snow band in Feb 2020 and get .75 inches of accumulation, I would probably be going on 4 years w/o accumulating snow next winter. Still, going on over a decade without a 3+ inch snow(Jan 2011).

Winter gets a D because of the below average temps and novelty flakes.

Snowflowxxl

Reaction score
It was cold AF and I only had flurries on November 30th of 2020 lol. I didn’t even stay up for the Euro once this winter because ATL never had a legit chance. I haven’t done that since 2013 LOL. I’d give it a D- just because it could always be worse somehow

Tarheelwx

Reaction score
Real solid D here in Greensboro. We had flakes probably 8 times, but maybe only 1" total accumulation. We had ice 3 different times, but even those underperformed. I think this winter just proved out that "-NAO will bring snow" is a hoax and CADs many times do underperform (we just remember those where we overperform enough below freezing to make it memorable.).

TW

k0skinne

Reaction score
Interesting winter ... I put down a "C" as I did see snow on Christmas Eve and again some flakes in my location a few weeks ago. It was frustrating, but I do remember that the majority of seasonal forecasts leading into winter were strictly warm. We did not have any major cold here - nothing in the teens per say, but we were generally colder than normal overall. So, the majority of forecasts leading into winter were not accurate.

So that leads to a question I have ... which is more frustrating: having very little chance at a solid winter with a couple of winter storms, or having multiple chances and not getting anything? As with the Atlanta Braves and Georgia Bulldogs, is it better to get very close and not win championships or not get close at all?? This year, we seemingly had many factors in our favor that have been missing in other years ... especially the -NAO. We had model output that gave us something to monitor. But for many of us, nothing major played out.

I guess it is better to at least have a chance, but when you have a chance and come up short (ie Braves and Dawgs) the frustration factor does seem much higher as many of us feel that way right now. I am willing to bet though that we all will be back at it again next November because we are fans ... just like I will continue to root for the Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Dawgs, etc. and probably will be frustrated with them ... I will still follow!

As @GaWx points out ... the weather is predetermined. The models are man's modest attempts to predict what will happen, but as we keep seeing, man does not have it figured out and I do not think we every completely will. But it is fun (I guess) to follow and when models do find that nut every once in a while with a winter storm, we can enjoy it!

I do not post very often, but I enjoy the experts that do post here. And it is nice to know that so many other people have interest in the weather. Thank you for your contributions!