• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry,
I'll toss this in there for short term, except I have to be in Tampa that day ...

2019100712_CON_GFS_SFC_TEMP_IMAGE_264.gif

It wouldn’t take munch and it seems we are finding all these new ways in which the ice is melting faster then we thought.
But does ice melt mean the oceans will rise with ALL the water? Wouldn't warming also produce more clouds or some heavy precip over land and push some of that there too? Maybe there are more factors than "the water goes to the ocean and we will flood tomorrow" and the full picture isn't clear.

But does ice melt mean the oceans will rise with ALL the water? Wouldn't warming also produce more clouds or some heavy precip over land and push some of that there too? Maybe there are more factors than "the water goes to the ocean and we will flood tomorrow" and the full picture isn't clear.

I'm going to wait for the rich to sell their ocean front property for pennies on the dollar. When I see that happening, I'll believe it. Otherwise, this global climate change scare is just a scam to relieve the gullible of their liberty and property. Climate is changing, it always has and always will. We need to let the free market adapt to it and preserve as much personal freedom and property rights as possible.

I'm going to wait for the rich to sell their ocean front property for pennies on the dollar. When I see that happening, I'll believe it. Otherwise, this global climate change scare is just a scam to relieve the gullible of their liberty and property. Climate is changing, it always has and always will. We need to let the free market adapt to it and preserve as much personal freedom and property rights as possible.

AGW is already having an effect on property values and will continue to gradually increase over time and would take a while to reach “pennies on the dollar”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ion-is-changing-miami-real-estate-values.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGW is already having an effect on property values and will continue to gradually increase over time and would take a while to reach “pennies on the dollar”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ion-is-changing-miami-real-estate-values.html

Couple of things of note: 1) the Miami area is a blue region, over 60% voted for Hillary, I point this out because obviously more people there would buy into GW and therefore could certainly play a role in the the value of property right on the coast 2) if the world is gonna end in 12 years why is going to take so long for property values to reach pennies on the dollar?

Couple of things of note: 1) the Miami area is a blue region, over 60% voted for Hillary, I point this out because obviously more people there would buy into GW and therefore could certainly play a role in the the value of property right on the coast 2) if the world is gonna end in 12 years why is going to take so long for property values to reach pennies on the dollar?
So people with means aren’t buying the global warming, sea rising scare? Why should the rest of us?

So people with means aren’t buying the global warming, sea rising scare? Why should the rest of us?
It's so difficult sometimes to completely understand text conversations (maybe it's just me Lol), but are you questioning me or agreeing and asking a rhetorical question? Because I agree with your above post and was only pointing out in a very left leaning region property values may be affected by the scare of sea rise b/c they obviously are influenced by the left agenda.

I really don't know what to think about this topic. I think for most of us, when we discuss history, we tend to think of history as our own life cycle and what we've experienced. I know the 80's was a great decade for me, as I love snow and colder temps. We have definitely warmed since then. My grandfather was born in 1907, when the early 90's rolled around, temps were warming already (so it seemed). He would tell me his grandfather would talk about the heat he experienced during his childhood. I imagine where we are at with global temps is not uncharted territory.

We can pollute the planet, we can destroy our ecosystems, we can trash it, we can do a lot of things, however, to cause the temperature to rise to the point of making it uninhabitable seems like a very far stretch to me. Hell, we can't even have a climate change summit without it being cancelled due to ice and snow.

I really don't know what to think about this topic. I think for most of us, when we discuss history, we tend to think of history as our own life cycle and what we've experienced. I know the 80's was a great decade for me, as I love snow and colder temps. We have definitely warmed since then. My grandfather was born in 1907, when the early 90's rolled around, temps were warming already (so it seemed). He would tell me his grandfather would talk about the heat he experienced during his childhood. I imagine where we are at with global temps is not uncharted territory.

We can pollute the planet, we can destroy our ecosystems, we can trash it, we can do a lot of things, however, to cause the temperature to rise to the point of making it uninhabitable seems like a very far stretch to me. Hell, we can't even have a climate change summit without it being cancelled due to ice and snow.
I largely agree. But I am open to the fact that I don't know for sure. None of us really do. And when you see money/power get injected as an influencing agent into something like this, it really makes me question, even harder, the validity of it. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that we are affecting our planet or even the temperature of it. But how much? I don't think it is possible to say for sure. Certainly, when someone assures you that they absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt the answer to that question, I immediately become skeptical. I don't even know if it's POSSIBLE to know. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do better. But dire predictions of the world ending and of great calamity have been around forever. We're still here. All that said, we should still do our best to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, manage waste better, and all pitch in to make our environment a better place than it currently is.

It's so difficult sometimes to completely understand text conversations (maybe it's just me Lol), but are you questioning me or agreeing and asking a rhetorical question? Because I agree with your above post and was only pointing out in a very left leaning region property values may be affected by the scare of sea rise b/c they obviously are influenced by the left agenda.
I agree, and your observation is astute. I would expect leftists to start the selling pressure in areas they believe will be inundated by sea water. My comment was rhetorical.

I agree, and your observation is astute. I would expect leftists to start the selling pressure in areas they believe will be inundated by sea water. My comment was rhetorical.

That's what I thought and you fine sir have vaulted right to the top of my favorite person list (if such a list actually existed). I've been told many things about my opinions/observations over the years but in all my 48 yrs on God's green earth the word astute has never been one of them.

I largely agree. But I am open to the fact that I don't know for sure. None of us really do. And when you see money/power get injected as an influencing agent into something like this, it really makes me question, even harder, the validity of it. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that we are affecting our planet or even the temperature of it. But how much? I don't think it is possible to say for sure. Certainly, when someone assures you that they absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt the answer to that question, I immediately become skeptical. I don't even know if it's POSSIBLE to know. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do better. But dire predictions of the world ending and of great calamity have been around forever. We're still here. All that said, we should still do our best to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, manage waste better, and all pitch in to make our environment a better place than it currently is.

I think the skepticism that you may have is very warranted. We have people that haven't the slightest idea about meteorology or historical climate going for a big money grab that could very well destroy our economy, while the rest of the globe stays largely uninvolved. Those aren't the voices I'd listen to.

The CO2 has increased from 270ppm preindustrial to now around 410ppm and climbing. The planet will get warmer as it takes a while to reach equilibrium and won’t do so until decades after the CO2 levels off. The only question remaining is the climate sensitivity to CO2 lvls which we only have paleoclimate data to look at in order to produce models.

The CO2 has increased from 270ppm preindustrial to now around 410ppm and climbing. The planet will get warmer as it takes a while to reach equilibrium and won’t do so until decades after the CO2 levels off. The only question remaining is the climate sensitivity to CO2 lvls which we only have paleoclimate data to look at in order to produce models.

I hear that methane is a much stronger greenhouse gas. We should burn all the methane that we can to keep it out of the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back