• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Global Model Runs Discussion 2018

Webb is that what the gfs been keying on as well? Larry mentioned it last night I think too with watching SW Caribbean for possible TC development. 18z has a concearning system post d10 in Caribbean, and hints of development with previous runs too. Is the phase 8/1 in MJO a good phase for increase TC development?
View attachment 6467 View attachment 6468

The GFS is usually too overzealous w/ CA convection and TCG so I'd take any of the GFS forecasts w/ salt nor take them too seriously at least this far in advance. My post above shows all major NWP guidance showing the MJO going into phase 8-1 as we get into early October. You should understand however that this may not be a "true" MJO pulse (at least initially) in the sense that the leading Empirical Orthogonal Functions that comprise the MJO are actually just projecting onto the CA monsoon and not an MJO event propagating from the Pacific into the Western Hemisphere. Whether the MJO is "real" or not doesn't actually change the eventual result that much in this case. (I'll just mention that here, EOFs in a hand-wavy sense are essentially the main spatial patterns in meridional wind, zonal wind, & OLR in the tropics (20S-20N) derived from observations, and these same fields in real-time are then projected onto the EOFs, how well the real-time fields match the EOFs gives you a number which is then normalized and calculated to produce the MJO index.)

Being that the fv3 is showing development too is adding more weight .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being that the fv3 is showing development too is adding more weight .

FWIW: The 6Z FV3 develops a wave that moves off of Africa within only about the next 2 days. It doesn’t become a TD til near 50W on 9/25. So, this is a much earlier wave than the one the Euro/EPS has been developing just off Africa near 9/25. The run ends on 10/4 with a H recurving NNE near 30N, 75W. Climowise, this FV3 scenario is quite possible.

FWIW: The 6Z FV3 develops a wave that moves off of Africa within only about the next 2 days. It doesn’t become a TD til near 50W on 9/25. So, this is a much earlier wave than the one the Euro/EPS has been developing just off Africa near 9/25. The run ends on 10/4 with a H recurving NNE near 30N, 75W. Climowise, this FV3 scenario is quite possible.
Oddly enough at the end of it's run there is a system to it's east that helps create a weakness for the recurve, that can actually be backtracked all the way to another piece of energy breaking off of Florence's remnants in the Atlantic... you can't make this stuff up

Oddly enough at the end of it's run there is a system to it's east that helps create a weakness for the recurve, that can actually be backtracked all the way to another piece of energy breaking off of Florence's remnants in the Atlantic... you can't make this stuff up

Flo was like oh hell no I ain’t go out that easy.

Lordy I've been looking for something upbeat to share today; all to no good; so here's this, which is just the opposite of preconceived intentions looking at Africa and the mess out in front ... but it's weather ...

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 2.41.41 PM.jpg

ITCZ looks active

...and though by no means a forecast (and most certainly not a wish), other than some dust, conditions are not too bad for something to begin trying to spin (like we really need another tropical thread) ... o_O

saharan_dust_car_29.png

wg8shr.GIF

wg8dlm5-1.GIF

Last edited:
^ However, fwiw, the new 12Z EPS suggests little chance for a CONUS hit over the next 2 weeks. OTOH, the GEFS keep showing something in the W Caribbean though as Webb has said this could be due to a GFS bias there.

Maybe we'll get a long much deserved break as so many want. Who knows?

Up next Happy Hour GFS/GEFS fwiw.

^ However, fwiw, the new 12Z EPS suggests little chance for a CONUS hit over the next 2 weeks. OTOH, the GEFS keep showing something in the W Caribbean though as Webb has said this could be due to a GFS bias there.

Maybe we'll get a long much deserved break as so many want. Who knows?

Up next Happy Hour GFS/GEFS fwiw.
Larry,
Was just a daily muse ... and a tad bit of spice ... ;)
Phil

It's definitely an outlier and what do the Canadians know about the tropics?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The energy shows up on all the models so you can tell there is something, but the CMC seems to make it stronger than the other models, which just have moisture. Of course the CMC shows more tropical systems than the other models in the MR and LR, so it's definitely an outlier.

Yeah that's basically what I meant by being an outlier. It is concerning to see however that would be Devastation in that area.
The energy shows up on all the models so you can tell there is something, but the CMC seems to make it stronger than the other models, which just have moisture. Of course the CMC shows more tropical systems than the other models in the MR and LR, so it's definitely an outlier.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

And now, there are 0 active storms in the Atlantic.

for a brief moment last night the NHC had zero storms in the EPAC and Atlantic after having 6 or 7 last week

Then some TD formed in the EPAC this morning that has no future lol

Seems like the ITCZ is suppressed way south, around Latitude 5 degrees North which makes it extremely unlikely of Tropical formation in the East or Central Atlantic, perhaps one makes it into the gulf but formation would have to wait until it gains more Latitude

Back