• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

It would be nice to find something that worked on fire ants and yellow jackets and left the other insects alone. It's a good thing I was cutting grass in the light rain this morning. I rolled right over a yellow jacket nest in the ground and otherwise I would have gotten lit up.

It would be nice to find something that worked on fire ants and yellow jackets and left the other insects alone. It's a good thing I was cutting grass in the light rain this morning. I rolled right over a yellow jacket nest in the ground and otherwise I would have gotten lit up.
Just roll around with the yellow jackets till it don’t hurt no more, become immune to their venom

My yard is mostly shaded by large oaks, especially in the back. Once I cleared out the mess of ivy and downed trees, I planted tall fescue where I wanted grass. Its filled in nicely. The front is a different story. The front half of the yard is mostly centipede which invaded from the neighbors and is decent enough, its more of a coastal plain grass, but it grows. I had planted fescue in the back half of the front yard, it was fine at first, but weeds have taken most of it. I'm almost thinking I go bermuda in that section instead. It gets more sun then anywhere else, probably 5 or 6 hours, the soil isn't great, it spreads, and it is a warm season grass like the centipede. I just have to make a decision because its overseeding time with fescue, and I've already done the back.

My yard is mostly shaded by large oaks, especially in the back. Once I cleared out the mess of ivy and downed trees, I planted tall fescue where I wanted grass. Its filled in nicely. The front is a different story. The front half of the yard is mostly centipede which invaded from the neighbors and is decent enough, its more of a coastal plain grass, but it grows. I had planted fescue in the back half of the front yard, it was fine at first, but weeds have taken most of it. I'm almost thinking I go bermuda in that section instead. It gets more sun then anywhere else, probably 5 or 6 hours, the soil isn't great, it spreads, and it is a warm season grass like the centipede. I just have to make a decision because its overseeding time with fescue, and I've already done the back.

Sod or seed?

Sod or seed?
Seed. I would only go sod if I had a sprinkler system.

I just walked the front, the centipede has some empty patches in it, but it is already invading some of the area where the fescue was. I almost think I till and plant centipede seed, and also overseed with centipede where it already is. I honestly know nothing of centipede grass other than it grows linear and is a little bit more of a slow grower. It also requires water, which I'll do. I just don't have a system in place.

They say centipede is shade intolerant, but I know it is because it completely took over one area that is pretty shady, and is actually one of the thicker sections.

Seed. I would only go sod if I had a sprinkler system.

I just walked the front, the centipede has some empty patches in it, but it is already invading some of the area where the fescue was. I almost think I till and plant centipede seed, and also overseed with centipede where it already is. I honestly know nothing of centipede grass other than it grows linear and is a little bit more of a slow grower. It also requires water, which I'll do. I just don't have a system in place.

They say centipede is shade intolerant, but I know it is because it completely took over one area that is pretty shady, and is actually one of the thicker sections.

Centipede should be fine any seeded bermuda requires a lot of hours of sun I've learned the hard way around my fence line. Are you planning on seeding now or spring?

Centipede should be fine any seeded bermuda requires a lot of hours of sun I've learned the hard way around my fence line. Are you planning on sending now or spring?
I was going to wait until spring, at least from everything I've ready about either Bermuda or Centipede. So just the shade from your fence has prevented the Bermuda from thriving?

Reactions: SD
I was going to wait until spring, at least from everything I've ready about either Bermuda or Centipede. So just the shade from your fence has prevented the Bermuda from thriving?
Yeah the shade line especially on the west side is noticeably thinner than everything else

I threw out some of this stuff last week I'm not sure if it's any good but I guess we'll find out.

Screenshot_20240902-212142_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yeah the shade line especially on the west side is noticeably thinner than everything else
As much as the Centipede has spread already, and what you said about the shade, I’m rolling with centipede. Thanks for the input!

I also think my soil is pretty acidic. I planted a red maple along with some Virginia pines and the maple has grown about 15 feet in five years. The pines have grown around 8 feet in four years.

Yeah I was worried it was too hot to throw stuff out this soon but with my traveling I had to take advantage of being around and just chanced it.
With Bermuda I think the warmer the better.

I've thought about it but a true turf service is too niche. Most folks are looking for a grass mower or a service like trugreen where they do enough to look better than their neighbors but not enough to go full golf course lawn
I think you are in an excellent area for a niche service like that though. The folks over in Hayes Barton would be more than willing to pay for your services.

Reactions: SD
Chopped some leaf lettuce off last night for supper. Hoping It can produce one more time mid- late October. Gotta cut a bunch more this weekend. It's time, August 1st gamble paid off. Cabbage,Turnips, Brochleigh look great.

Back