• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Going to check on my sweet potatoes tomorrow assuming it doesn't rain much more. On the 4th they were still a bit smaller than I like. They struggled this year to get going from bare root but eventually got it together.

Tomatoes coming in 30ish per day. Gonna net 250-300 easy. Planted spuds March 1st and netted about 120 first week June. Right at 100-105 days. Have a bed up close enough to brick on backside of house, mini heat island on those freeze nights we had, made a difference. Been a great year. Mid August will be geeting ready to sow turnips,cabbage.

Attachments

• 20240715_182835.jpg
    20240715_182835.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
Anyone plant pumpkins recently? I did two years ago and they rotted in the field. Trying again this year.

Anyone plant pumpkins recently? I did two years ago and they rotted in the field. Trying again this year.
Pumpkins are so hard. They are weak plants and get attacked by everything, most notiously vine borers. Powdery mildew, squash bugs, and other things get them as well. My plants always die before the pumpkins pollinate. You have to get good pesticide and give them a lot of attention, if you want to be successful.

Put growth regulator on my yard Saturday to slow down vertical growth and reduce mowing from every other day. Pretty decent result so far, it'll be interesting to see how frequently i have to mow going forward and how much horizontal growth this causes20240716_125548.jpg

Pumpkins are so hard. They are weak plants and get attacked by everything, most notiously vine borers. Powdery mildew, squash bugs, and other things get them as well. My plants always die before the pumpkins pollinate. You have to get good pesticide and give them a lot of attention, if you want to be successful.
Mildew is a big issue here. Don’t know if the seabreeze and resultant dew points make it worse but I’ve seen a lot on my gourds.

This is a short and interesting read not just for forestry but also our backyard trees. Needle blight has been a challenge with Longleaf pine restoration and now to see it in Loblolly is not ideal.

Here I thought it was flash drought around here. This isn't good for lumber.

Back