• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

I started doing the no dig/no till and realized it's very good to not destroy the living soil underneath
How do you control weeds? I've heard about no till but don't really know how it works.

How do you control weeds? I've heard about no till but don't really know how it works.

Heavy mulch either from hay or wood chips. We use a layer of manure/compost, then hay and then weed fabric. Eventually we will be able to get rid of the weed fabric, but it has proved to be absolutely amazing with beating down and killing the Bermuda.

Heavy mulch either from hay or wood chips. We use a layer of manure/compost, then hay and then weed fabric. Eventually we will be able to get rid of the weed fabric, but it has proved to be absolutely amazing with beating down and killing the Bermuda.
How does it work with row crops such as corn? I grow my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant under lights but don't like the idea of corn, beans, and okra as well. Do you just cut long rips in the fabric for those?

A blessing for me and the farmers! ?A0E833C2-4DEA-4828-B5E8-FDFB6F3532F4.png

How does it work with row crops such as corn? I grow my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant under lights but don't like the idea of corn, beans, and okra as well. Do you just cut long rips in the fabric for those?

The corn we planted this year we just used heavy mulch. That said it was the first time we planted corn in years. The beans we cut the fabric and folded it back. The okra I did both ways, however making individual holes for each plant has made much bigger plants. So it would work the same for others, just more initial work. Unfortunately, I’ve kind of let the okra go. I need to go cut it.

Most of the principles we use come out of this method.

Within a couple years or less, the weeds naturally die off. I use cardboard instead of fabric etc.

Got a tractor question for y'all. I've got a Kubota BX2380 and just got a 48" King Kutter tiller from my boss for a steal. I have a steep hill from my barn to the garden plot so I'm thinking I'll need to have the front end loader on as ballast for the weight of the tiller. What do y'all think?

If it's easy to hitch up the loader I'd go for that. Or weights if you have them. It'll be harder to steer without.

Best way to get rid of moles survival of the mole is not a factor
I'm all ears on this one too. I've killed at least a dozen over the last 3 years using traps over their tunnels. Haven't put a dent in the population

Reactions: SD
I'm all ears on this one too. I've killed at least a dozen over the last 3 years using traps over their tunnels. Haven't put a dent in the population
I've been running over this bastard with the lawn mower and had him forced out of the yard but he came back this morning. Ultimately getting rid of grubs is the answer but I need this thing gone today

I've been running over this bastard with the lawn mower and had him forced out of the yard but he came back this morning. Ultimately getting rid of grubs is the answer but I need this thing gone today
You sure it’s moles and not voles? Anywho, I know you’re smart and went to the Wolf school, the spear traps are really the best as long as you’re not a member of PETA
And I have had a Boston terrier kill a few also! As you said, they are rooting for the grubs, and can do quite a number on the ole turf/yard

You sure it’s moles and not voles? Anywho, I know you’re smart and went to the Wolf school, the spear traps are really the best as long as you’re not a member of PETA
And I have had a Boston terrier kill a few also! As you said, they are rooting for the grubs, and can do quite a number on the ole turf/yard
A little light reading, they apparently love earthworms too! So killing them I guess is your only hope? Maybe try poisons??

Reactions: SD
Finally had to break out the water hoses to get the clover started. Well can't handle a lot of watering all day, but I'm able to do sections at a time. What I started watering a week ago is already sprouted up.

A while back a community garden close by hired me to prepare an area for them that used to be briars, kudzu and brush. The dirt was 100% red clay, nothing useful.

I told them not to plant anything in the main plot I was working for 1 year. Over that first summer I planted nothing but crimson clover. Once it grew and flowered, I'd turn plow, till and plant more of the same. Went through 3 plantings. By late fall the dirt was already turning a nice brown color. I planted some sweet potatoes in this area the following year, never saw them any bigger even in stores.

Building soil through crimson clover is a proven method to build up a healthy soil environment.

Finally had to break out the water hoses to get the clover started. Well can't handle a lot of watering all day, but I'm able to do sections at a time. What I started watering a week ago is already sprouted up.

A while back a community garden close by hired me to prepare an area for them that used to be briars, kudzu and brush. The dirt was 100% red clay, nothing useful.

I told them not to plant anything in the main plot I was working for 1 year. Over that first summer I planted nothing but crimson clover. Once it grew and flowered, I'd turn plow, till and plant more of the same. Went through 3 plantings. By late fall the dirt was already turning a nice brown color. I planted some sweet potatoes in this area the following year, never saw them any bigger even in stores.

Building soil through crimson clover is a proven method to build up a healthy soil environment.
I started doing that a few years ago and it does work wonders. I'm lucky that my garden gets flooded about once a year so it has tons of nutrients and the floods also push horse manure from the pasture next door. That said, I plowed last night and will till and add clover to most of it on Saturday.

Back