• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Did you get your pumpkin to last fall?

Holy crap! that's right..... Last fall I let a pumpkin rot there for animals to forage on. Great call. I guess I'll have pumpkins this fall? Or, did it pop up to late?

Holy crap! that's right..... Last fall I let a pumpkin rot there for animals to forage on. Great call. I guess I'll have pumpkins this fall? Or, did it pop up to late?
As long as it doesn't frost, you'll be good. That said, pumpkins are extremely vulnerable to vine borers and squash bugs. Keep those away and you'll have some nice ?!

As long as it doesn't frost, you'll be good. That said, pumpkins are extremely vulnerable to vine borers and squash bugs. Keep those away and you'll have some nice ?!
You make me proud sometimes! ?
Don’t forget mildew! ??

Widened my big plot another 15', it's now sitting at 100x50. Using periodic turn plowing and tilling (every 2-3 weeks, and only a few days after a rain) to help kill off bermuda stolons and rhizomes. It's hot and very dry right now. Soil is baking.

Plan to eventually put red clover for over wintering.

garden.jpg

Widened my big plot another 15', it's now sitting at 100x50. Using periodic turn plowing and tilling (every 2-3 weeks, and only a few days after a rain) to help kill off bermuda stolons and rhizomes. It's hot and very dry right now. Soil is baking.

Plan to eventually put red clover for over wintering.

View attachment 136374
What sort of tiller are you using? I just got a 48" for my Kubota but won't get to try it out until this weekend. I've got collards, mustards, carrots, lettuce, and garlic to put out. I hope to get some cabbage seedlings.

What sort of tiller are you using? I just got a 48" for my Kubota but won't get to try it out until this weekend. I've got collards, mustards, carrots, lettuce, and garlic to put out. I hope to get some cabbage seedlings.
I have a 52" Caroni FL1300 tiller. Got it on the second hand market 14 years ago. Tillers have gone way up in price since then.

I probably have a few more bermuda spots to kill otherwise I'd look into planting some of the same veggies. The soil is not very good right now, hence wanting to plant clover and work that in next spring.

I probably have a few more bermuda spots to kill otherwise I'd look into planting some of the same veggies. The soil is not very good right now, hence wanting to plant clover and work that in next spring.
I did that at my last house. I'd overwinter some clover and till it in every spring.

Honestly every time you till you hurt your soil and spread the Bermuda. The best way we have found to get rid of it is good weed fabric.

Honestly every time you till you hurt your soil and spread the Bermuda. The best way we have found to get rid of it is good weed fabric.
Bermuda is spread via stolons and rhizomes. I do not intend to plant this year, so will continue plowing and tilling usually every 3-4 weeks, and usually 2 weeks after a rain so that any bermuda sprouts are continually turned under and die. Stolons and rhizomes are not an infinite supply of energy.

If all I had were a walk behind tiller I'd have gone a different method. I've seen what light tilling bermuda does, I don't need that repeated as tho it's new information. I have equipment that most homeowners do not have access to. Nor am I here to instruct others on how to manage their own gardens and property.

Gotta do what we can do within our means, no choice.

Bermuda is spread via stolons and rhizomes. I do not intend to plant this year, so will continue plowing and tilling usually every 3-4 weeks, and usually 2 weeks after a rain so that any bermuda sprouts are continually turned under and die. Stolons and rhizomes are not an infinite supply of energy.

If all I had were a walk behind tiller I'd have gone a different method. I've seen what light tilling bermuda does, I don't need that repeated as tho it's new information. I have equipment that most homeowners do not have access to. Nor am I here to instruct others on how to manage their own gardens and property.

Gotta do what we can do within our means, no choice.

I certainly not trying to tell others how to do their garden, it’s just that comparing our results from going from till to no till methods is so massive I think everyone needs to at least look into it.

I've prior experience in building soil from solid red clay to rich loam. Less worried about destroying the soil right now. It'll be built back better than it was before.

I also avoid herbicides/pesticides. Organic gives me ease of mind when sitting down at the dinner table.

We haven't seen meaningful rain in over 3 weeks. Losing hope that I'll have any rain to get the clover seed I put out a chance to grow before sun angle gets to low. Storms pop up all around us but nothing here.

I started doing the no dig/no till and realized it's very good to not destroy the living soil underneath

Back