• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

The grocery store in Royston burned down last night. Dill's. Now there is one less place to buy food. Sort of devastating to the community. Been there forever and a staple. Only place to get better meat. Food lion is the other choice and meats are terrible. There is another Dills in Lavonia. They keep other grocery stores from coming and it's a fuss all the time. It's like the grocery store cabal or something. Dill's and Food Lion seem to have a problem with rotating and keeping fresh stuff. It's getting more difficult to navigate food shopping. Prices are outrageous because of no competition. Produce is so old and probably worthless by the time it gets to the table. Can't keep staff. Another reason to be more self sufficient. If it had been the Dill's in Lavonia, there would zero grocery stores to serve the regular and influxed coming in droves. It's crazy. Sad and lil scary really. Nobody got hurt though so that's good.

Attachments

• Dills.jpg
    Dills.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 8
Started seedlings on the 20th for my first square foot garden. I purchased heat mats for them and the watermelon raddish, broccoli, leaf lettuce, and cabbage have already sprouted after 2 nights. I already have grow lights for when the true leaves start but i need to build my two 4x4 boxes soon. My first time doing this.

I got some seed trays with lids and lights. It only took two days for the beans to sprout. Now they are touching the top and lights and I don't know what I should do with them. I know normally they wouldn't go outside yet but I wonder if they could since it doesn't look like cold weather coming. Never know though.

I got some seed trays with lids and lights. It only took two days for the beans to sprout. Now they are touching the top and lights and I don't know what I should do with them. I know normally they wouldn't go outside yet but I wonder if they could since it doesn't look like cold weather coming. Never know though.
The ground temps will likely kill them. Pot them up into some solo cups.

Spent a little time this weekend building a couple of raised vegetable garden beds out of cedar. Still debating where in the backyard to put them lol.

Gonna do cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, green beans, and lettuce.

View attachment 147140
Those would make good snow boards, for measuring snow. They're deep enough to hold several years' worth of snow!

Just saw that on FB the other day! Great idea
Also those solo shot glasses are great, but have to put drain holes in
Yep...The positive with the k cups are: I already buy them so they can be repurposed, and coffee grounds add nutrients of some sort. Plus, there's already a drain hole...(That's what she said)

Back