• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Yup!
e8bb294a9cbbe7641326fe6dc3fc1f36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why this setup has been such a bust for most of us. We had pretty close to a classic CAD setup with strong HP pretty anchored and in a good position, yet the NE winds last night were anemic and did not do the job. I've seen much worse insitu CAD setups with fleeting HP and weker perform better.

Did something disrupt the NE flow or was the air North of us just not cold enough?

35 and pain this morning at RDU. Looks like RDU never got below 35, actually. Burlington also only got down to 34. Major fail. At least I saw a few sleet pellets last night.

It’s pouring rain outside my apartment in Durham right now. A very cold rain,

What was a major fail? This was expected. Or are you saying this just sucks so it’s a fail? Lol

I don't understand why this setup has been such a bust for most of us. We had pretty close to a classic CAD setup with strong HP pretty anchored and in a good position, yet the NE winds last night were anemic and did not do the job. I've seen much worse insitu CAD setups with fleeting HP and weker perform better.

Did something disrupt the NE flow or was the air North of us just not cold enough?
Speaking for my area, the clouds rolled in around 6-7pm and held our temperatures rock steady at 39-43 degrees in Spartanburg county. Technically the CAD did work here as I held at DP of 28 even after the rain started falling and that helped me drop to 32. Spartanburg has been stuck between 33-34 degrees. If those clouds had not rolled in until around 10 pm, we likely would have bottomed out somewhere between 29-33 degrees from the north to the south in the county. Just 15 minutes up the road got .3 of ice accretion right as you enter the mountains. So we were just that close to a major ice storm.

As a resident of Southern Wake County, NC... I like to consider myself an expert when it comes to warm noses. I have given myself title, King of the sleet and protector of the snow dome. Anyone else south of 64 in Wake county, know what I am talking about.

That said.....

My Uncle, Aunt, Cousins live in Jersey City... they are all VERY excited and expecting 9-14inches of the white stuff tonight. *HARD PAUSE and exhales deeply* ..... I cannot help but look at these HRRR/NAM3k runs and peak at the temps aloft and cringe.

Maybe I have just have a scar that will never heal. But when I hear the words "warm" and "nose" are even in the question, I lose ALL hope.

The snow weenie in me is rooting for them. My brain, pessimistic attitude with a glass half empty mindset says, prepare for the bust.

What was a major fail? This was expected. Or are you saying this just sucks so it’s a fail? Lol
I was thinking I might get a slight glaze out my way, TBH. Plus it seems to be failing some in areas to our west, like Burlington was definitely supposed to get some light ice accrual. My county is under a WWA and all I got was a few sleet pellets and lots of rain. But yeah mainly just saying this sucks, haha.

In his defense some maps had Guilford and Alamance in ice accrual.

No need to defend, not saying he did anything wrong or trying to call him out, just asking.

Ice maps are almost as bad as snow maps with borderline temp events. A lot of the soundings showed sleet/rain profiles but output freezing rain. Some were all rain when ground temps were raised 1-2°...hard to trust those things with the biased output. Might as well look at soundings and QPF.

In his defense some maps had Guilford and Alamance in ice accrual.

Yeah, and Durham County was under a Winter Weather Advisory now, as well. But as far as I can tell there was no ZR anywhere in the county aside from the few sleet pellets last night.

Last edited:
I was thinking I might get a slight glaze out my way, TBH. Plus it seems to be failing some in areas to our west, like Burlington was definitely supposed to get some light ice accrual. My county is under a WWA and all I got was a few sleet pellets and lots of rain. But yeah mainly just saying this sucks, haha.

I gotcha. Yeah I mean it’s hard to call it a fail if you’re calling for a glaze and it doesn’t work out, especially with the borderline soundings and dry slot/rain to end the event..it would be almost impossible to measure that accrual. So in a sense it was set up to fail.

I gotcha. Yeah I mean it’s hard to call it a fail if you’re calling for a glaze and it doesn’t work out, especially with the borderline soundings and dry slot/rain to end the event..it would be almost impossible to measure that accrual. So in a sense it was set up to fail.
Ha, yeah, sorry, was just a general weenie complaint as I hear the rain pouring outside my window. It wasn’t a fail relative to expectations, and I don’t care much for ZR, anyways. I didn’t ever really think we had much of a chance with this one, at least not since like a week ago.

Back