• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

@Webberweather53 So what is going on with this sleet band that may form? Weather channel is saying an inch of snow for my area lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Looks rough down-east later.

b1203ab507b9e90a0440110a55632768.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear reports of light glaze in the western & NW piedmont of NC this morning, curious what the radial ZR measurements are on tree branches (in hundredths of an inch)?

I'm assuming most places probably don't have much more than 0.1" atm, but I'm not sure.

From the many storms I've analyzed going back to the late 1800s in NC, ZR reports especially in low end events, are hard to verify and quantify because most observers usually report light glaze and don't provide actual ice amounts, which means ZR data is usually less reliable and harder to come by than snow & sleet. Certainly might seem dumb at first, but it really goes a long way in better understanding winter storms like this one

Actually yeah it would, certainly some potential for isolated supercells &/or tornadoes on the Outer Banks

Might get 60-65 here for a bit before we crash back into the low 40's, so we will go from the current 40ish all the way to 60ish then back to 40ish in the next 10 hrs or so....

Back