• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Just drove from CLT to Rock Hill area about an hour ago. The digital billboards along 77 were cautioning drivers that Winter Weather Ops were occurring. Not sure why they are brining the roads, but with these CAD events it's better safe than sorry. I'm not implying that areas in and around CLT metro will see much, but I have seen these "wedge" events overperform in the past more than once.

At least you can say you didn't get shut out this winter !
Exactly..ive seen flurries twice now..thats more than some other winterize. I didnt believe it when my daughter came home and said she saw it driving up to the house. Guess you never know for sure when itcomea to weather. Now I'm on high alert...flood lights on and window watching!

Exactly..ive seen flurries twice now..thats more than some other winterize. I didnt believe it when my daughter came home and said she saw it driving up to the house. Guess you never know for sure when itcomea to weather. Now I'm on high alert...flood lights on and window watching!
And it's not even officially winter yet ! Snow surprises are the best. In my experience, a lot of the best snows I've seen almost came out of nowhere.

Yeah the HRRR really picked up on the sleet threat instead of the ZR threat earlier this morning. It has stuck to its guns, and you’re seeing faux Ptype outputs from the Euro throwing rain/zr/sn in areas where it’s clearly all heavy sleet. Warm nose will likely not verify warm enough for sustained ZR but just warm enough for a decent inversion for IP. Surface having some issues too and not cold enough for sustained ZR either.

My Avatar/user pic worked!
I have noticed the warm nose on the NAM has backed off some up here. It was running at about 5 C on earlier runs but now looks more like 1 to 2 C and some hours it's really close. I test fired the generator at any rate cause we all know the warm nose can over perform. I am hoping not though :cool:

Hmm generous uptick in snowfall for Wilkes from NWS. 1-2” for the Wilkesboro city and 4-5” northern Wilkes on the parkway. That’s just their 9pm snow map update. But when reading the forecast on the NWS it is saying 2” of sleet possible then freezing rain. Never seen that much sleet before or have ever been forecasted that much.

Back