• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Not if that low continues to move in the direction that modeling is showing. They MAY get 8 inches, but even then, once it changes over to IP, ZR, or even rain those totals are going to get crushed. Much like our fantasy storms do. Every. Single. Time.
IDK... I read the discussion from the local NWS office up there and they are sound fairly confident that NYC itself is still looking at 8-12 inches and those field offices are usually really good about judging local microclimates.

Got some family in Old Fort which is the valley of Black Mountain, I imagine their surface temp could stay locked in for a while.
It's close no doubt. My grandpa's family were from moffit hill area in old fort. Its normally one of the last places to go above freezing due to mountains on three sides trapping it in the valley. I'd say they'll get there 1/10 tonight and maybe a little more.

The South Mtns really help our county as a whole with the upglide. I hope it stays sleet throughout I've looked at soundings all day and its close.
The earlier light precip is gonna help get the cad cranking sooner than expected. If the sfc is cold enough it’s also when the most efficient ZR accums will occur

Wouldn't be shocked to see temperatures spike some when the cloud deck rolls in overhead. But given current OBS I am expecting some marginal nuisance icing in Durham out of this now. RAH also added in some rain/freezing rain overnight and into the morning.

Back