• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

NWS Blacksburg has not once called for any significant ice here. And the WPC has dropped the moderate risk for ice. I guess I’m gonna go with them saying 1-2” snow and then sleet to cut slash ZR totals down to just a trace. Let’s see what happens the models are surely wrong in Boone too it’s prob more snow there IMO. Their warning says up to 5”. ?

Interesting we have been talking ice for many days (like 7). But the public receives a snow/sleet message with just a trace of ice from the national weather service. I can’t blame them you know they don’t look at any model guidance like we do. Kinda goes to show that these extreme ice maps that rarely verify are not even being considered by the national weather service up this way. Over 0.5” to 1.0” of ice but the forecast is for less than 0.1” for many.

• Huh
Reactions: SD
Apparently some forecasters and weenies in the mid-Atlantic think Philly will stay all snow.

Meanwhile, you have area-averaged NAM soundings like this where the hodograph is going off the screen and there's insane deep-layer veering w/ 80 KT southwesterlies above 700mb

nam_2020121506_045_39.71--74.78.png

My final call. Red dots (Virginia escarpment)
Up to 0.25” of ice. Pink (Watauga through Surry) 0.1” of ice. Orange (Hickory to Winston) 0.05” of ice. Blue (CAD zones of Georgia, South Carolina, Mooresville NC) a light glaze then cold ass rain. Reasoning...all zones could see sleet cut into ice totals with areas along and above Highway 421 seeing over half inch of sleet. Snow will will also be across the mtns and northern foothills where a dusting to 4” could occur. Mount Airy has the biggest chance outside of the mountains to see over 1” of snow! Elsewhere it’s too warm and unfavorable mixing for significant ice storm sorry. BE876F3A-5A6D-43E4-B400-47AF5612C034.jpeg

The RGEM is also further south was the high pressure compared to 06z

Edit: NVM it moved back into the same place

Back