• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Does seem a bit strange the high pressure is moving to a better location but not really reflective on surface. I will say as I mentioned yesterday, it does seem the footprint of the ice is shrinking but the totals in that footprint appear to be ticking up each run.

The CAD will often hold on stronger than modeled, but the track of the coastal so far inland (relatively) will presumably erode/cut off the CAD quicker. .10 before changing to plain rain seems like a good forecast for this area.

Urban heat island might be saving Charlotte here, making it ever so slightly warmer
Honestly, I felt like this would happen but the UHI here is weird compared to other cities because of how spread out Charlotte is and how different areas the city are. South End might stay above freezing while University or Mountain Island lake gets a glaze.

Honestly, I felt like this would happen but the UHI here is weird compared to other cities because of how spread out Charlotte is and how different areas the city are. South End might stay above freezing while University or Mountain Island lake gets a glaze.
The last few ice events I witnessed there had glaze near Kannapolis-Huntersville with plain rain once you got into Concord and the University. Probably what’s likely to happen

Ground temps not a problem, solid as a rock. 20 degrees this morning.

25 here this morning. Low 40s today upper 20s tonight! Then our minor event moves in. At least we got a shot at some winter precip in December again. Need a bit more dryer and colder air mass in order to be anything more than minor. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely stick closer to the NAM than the RGEM.

RGEM is ALWAYS over done on Ice totals. But usually does a pretty good job on where the ice will be.
And yes hard to bet against the NAM temp profiles, but in this case It’s just like NCSNOW said LP placement is the difference with the temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to keep an eye on the actual dew point (DP) observations today. The latest HRRR (11z), at hour 18, has DPs at or just below freezing for NC (outside mountains) from line of Charlotte to Raleigh northward. Surface temperatures are right at freezing for the VA boarder counties from Warren westward. But in my opinion that is not going to cut it. We need to see more 20s (at least) DPs to get our NW folks something more than trivial. Here's hour 18 as precip is developing / moving in.
aaaa.JPG

Ground temps not a problem, solid as a rock. 20 degrees this morning.
Yeah temp busted here a few degrees lower this morning near black bear/lake. I'm hoping we get enough low level cold air to keep this sleet for a while then top it with a glaze that would be pretty. I still hate ice though...

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of ice as I like my lights being on.
I just put in a woodstove took the gas stove out to expensive I can cut all I want for a few bucks in gas. My power bill dropped to 150 too with kids and the wife that's killer savings. We loose power too almost every storm they shud put all power underground up this way lol

Back