• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Tom Skilling said on his Chicago weather broadcast tonight that it would be cold for the next week and half and be much warmer from mid February into March. If it's warmer up there it's probably not real cold down south.
good sign... if you want warm weather... tom is one of the best if not the best out there... had enough cold

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is getting annoyed by his "I can't wait until severe weather season gets ramped up", etc.
As someone else said green onions or whatever the hell they are come during cold weather season. I know because I have a ton in my yard even though I cut the grass for the last time in late November. My dogs try and eat them and it’s not good for them from what I hear. I’ll be the first to admit when a true torch is among us but this ain’t it. We didn’t even get above freezing today and the next week looks anything but spring time.

I'm going to guess that whatever happens in February, at least a few people aren't going to like it. Even if it's a cold February.
As long as the above average temps hold off till spring I’ll be good. Warm weather folks get at least 7 months a year of 60s or higher temps so let me have my 3 months of 40s highs and 20s lows.

last time i checked this is a WEATHER forum... wanted to make sure i was in the proper place... sorry i take it to banter next time bosses... lol
Nobody has a problem with you saying you like severe weather. It’s the fact that you’ve been saying the models show a severe look or that severe and warmth is just around the corner since November. As my earlier post stated we don’t get much time for cold so when the warm weather people are saying bring on the warmth all winter it can get irritating sometimes. Back to weather as I’ve gone off topic in the wrong thread to much tonight.

As long as the above average temps hold off till spring I’ll be good. Warm weather folks get at least 7 months a year of 60s or higher temps so let me have my 3 months of 40s highs and 20s lows.
At this point I would love highs in the 40s. Tired of highs around 20 and lows 10 and below. Im not a fan of extreme cold or extreme heat. I wish the temp never got below 25 or above 85.

Snow, slowly wedging from Havana to Miami to Sarasota to Tampa to Valdosta, turning to zr by Macon (KATL gets a cold rain, again) and into a warm rain before Charlotte ... :confused:
Damn ... I need to get back to sleep ... :oops:
Those meds must be really strong.

It depends on the position, amplitude, and persistence of the tropospheric wave pattern, but if successful in splitting the polar vortex, this could lead to a sudden stratospheric warming event (SSWE) wherein the warming is so intense over the polar cap that the westerly winds associated w/ the polar night jet encapsulating the polar vortex are slowed to at least 0 or reverse entirely. Polar vortex split events usually favor immediate cold in Europe thanks to the Scandinavian blocking high, cold (if any) is often delayed for North America because we have to wait for the anomalies generated near the stratopause by these wave fluxes to downwell into the troposphere and hope that most of it doesn't simply radiate out into space. It often takes a few weeks or so for said anomalies to begin impacting the troposphere, thus we wouldn't really see any sensible effect from this PV splitting event until late February or March at the earliest, if we do at all. There are many cases in La Ninas where we actually turn much warmer following a SSWE.

That pretty much backs up the rest I've heard and the reason I've never paid attention to it, that a SSWE and/or PV split is pretty much overrated hoopla for NA.

Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like a big ole-fashioned winter rainstorm for Tennessee.. can't say we don't need it. Maybe mid-Feb on will have some surprises.
gfs_apcpn_us_18.png

Maybe this is the run we don't see a cutoff low and have a pattern change after a runner+a s/w sneak under it.

I just read the first page of this thread.. lol Well, it started out optimistic at least. Feb '15 was rather warmish for the first 10 days. so there's that. Also, if anyone's still hoping for a Feb/March 1960 repeat, early Feb '60 had several warm spells. We ain't doing another Feb '58... that whole month was cold.

CHA: from a high of 70 to almost 9 inches on the ground. and that was only the beginning.

1960-02-09 64 35 49.5 6.5 15 0 T 0.0 0
1960-02-10 70 48 59.0 15.8 6 0 0.11 0.0 0
1960-02-11 48 30 39.0 -4.5 26 0 0.00 0.0 0
1960-02-12 45 28 36.5 -7.2 28 0 T T 0
1960-02-13 32 25 28.5 -15.4 36 0 0.92 8.7 5

Back