• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

She's a beaut Clark. Ideally, to give the board the biggest hit possible, instead of the center of the vortex being on the north shore of Lake Superior, get it down to around Montreal or north-central New England, and then we're really talking.

View attachment 71214

Looks like we've got a ways to go then. I know it's possible, but is it likely? Most all of the ensembles keep the PV around the same spot.

She's a beaut Clark. Ideally, to give the board the biggest hit possible, instead of the center of the vortex being on the north shore of Lake Superior, get it down to around Montreal or north-central New England, and then we're really talking.

View attachment 71214

Isnt that how the trend played out last week with our little snowstorm.....

One thing I like for the overall pattern leading into this potential as well the next couple weeks is the parade of high pressures that seem to be setting up between southern Canada and across the pole into Siberia... looks to be plenty of cold air to tap into

Looks like we've got a ways to go then. I know it's possible, but is it likely? Most all of the ensembles keep the PV around the same spot.

I wouldn't say it's unlikely at this point or even probable, these wound up TPVs are hard to forecast more than 2-3 days out & we wouldn't need much of a change to get us there.

Isnt that how the trend played out last week with our little snowstorm.....

Yeah that's pretty much what happened and the GFS/GEFS were way too slow & north w/ it.

Man, if we manage to get legit snow or sleet sometime next week, single digit lows are pretty much a lock for many.
I mean this is just impressive, now this is the coldest mean I’ve seen, many members last week we’re sorta spread out which hampered it, guess there’s more agreement (for now) with many EPS members 0AE9B786-ABA0-4B95-A10B-85E3DAA32F25.png

To WEBB's point, and what I have been saying (and others) here is what we have with the last 3 op runs of the EURO. If you want to call it, todays 12z run was the "worse" run out of the 3. Notice where the TPV is....that's where we really don't want to see it. LAst nights run was the ultimate, right? Today's run "drags" its heels a bit with the cold push.
***Time stamp is for THUR 12z** about the time we need SHI* in place to get booming!**
12z yesterday
00z last night
12z run today

12z euro H5 yesterday 12z.png00z euro H5 last night.png12z euro H5 today 12z.png

Today's ECMWF run shows a lot of ice without there being much of a CAD in place in the Carolinas. It's something that's not as frequently associated with ice at least around here but it can happen from time to time. Verbatim the 12z ECMWF is the kind of setup you'd see in the southern plains when they get large ice storms.
How did NC fair during the big 1994 storm? That is the only time I recall ice at my house without CAD.

We need a couple of things to change for most of the South to get snow. Verbatim this indicates a lot of ice in Bama, northern Ga, Upstate and Eastern 2/3 of NC. If we (as Webb said) can get the TPV to move east and slightly south, and get the trough in the PAC to move more East of Hawaii, then more of us will get more snow and less ice. The next 2-3 days we all need to check and see if there is any movement east/south of where it (the TPV) is currently progged to be. The Euro does have a tendency to hold back the lows in the SW too long (which would benefit us in this situation) so that would also influence how much cold air can arrive before the precip onset

How did NC fair during the big 1994 storm? That is the only time I recall ice at my house without CAD.
It was a fairly big event for the Piedmont and Foothills... I was 17 and the house I grew up in in Concord had around an inch of sleet/snow and 1/3 inch of ice accrual. That was after highs the previous day were in the mid 70s

Back