• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

They all showed a big snow storm yesterday. They are not showing that today. It's either cold rain or more ice and less snow. That's worse to most folks.

Ice (IP/ZR) is a nearly inevitable part of big dog SE US overrunning events for a majority of places because most of our precip is forced by warm advection, which leads to warm noses. The only locations that get mostly snow are those that are on the northern fringe of the precip. You risk not getting anything at all if you want all snow in setups like this

How is that Euro run better than the big snow storm it had the last run?

Sure I guess the operational was verbatim "worse" but it honestly still looks totally fine to me overall. The ensemble improved a bit which holds more weight than single operational runs.

Ice (IP/ZR) is a nearly inevitable part of big dog SE US overrunning events for a majority of places because most of our precip is forced by warm advection, which leads to warm noses. The only locations that get mostly snow are those that are on the northern fringe of the precip

Sure I guess the operational was verbatim "worse" but it honestly still looks totally fine to me overall. The ensemble improved a bit which holds more weight than single operational runs.

Webb, do you think we have a chance of seeing this storm gain a snowier look to it, or will it likely stay more of an icy threat for those of us back to the west? If it materializes obviously.

Ice (IP/ZR) is a nearly inevitable part of big dog SE US overrunning events for a majority of places because most of our precip is forced by warm advection, which leads to warm noses. The only locations that get mostly snow are those that are on the northern fringe of the precip. You risk not getting anything at all if you want all snow in setups like this

Eric, you can correct me if I’m wrong, but La Niña favors mixed bags if I remember correctly.

I mean, again, I can count on a hand big dog storms that were all snow. Even 1/1988 had sleet along 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webb, do you think we have a chance of seeing this storm gain a snowier look to it, or will it likely stay more of an icy threat for those of us back to the west? If it materializes obviously.

Yeah we have just as much of a chance as we do getting cold rain or even thunderstorms at this point. It really just depends on where the vortex is in relation to our southern stream wave when it's over the SW US. The further south & east it is, the more areas on this board will see snow, but I think sleet will probably be unavoidable in almost any case.

It’s like every day the models come up with some sort of different evolution, it’s super irritating, I know models aren’t suppose to do well at that range but it seems like it’s sticking around that range forever, not moving, constantly throwing different looks at us, let’s see what the EPS does
To me this is why you can’t get to caught up in op runs either way. Ensembles have pointing to a strong storm signal in the 2/11-14 timeframe for about a week now and it’s been fairly steady. Obviously details will have to be ironed out, but there are tendencies we’ve been able to see for most of the winter. Inside 72-96 hours the SER gets muted and the TPV in Canada tends to push SE due to the blocking from the -NAO all of which are good things.

Today's EPS looks like it has improved by day 6-7, dropping the TPV a little further south in the northern plains and the wave near Atlantic Canada is deeper = suppressed SE ridge
That’s what we need. As you said, we need the TPV further E or SE over the lakes. That little bit shuts me out but really delays the good cold push and makes things more icy and rainy vs snowy and allows for NW trends

Yeah we have just as much of a chance as we do getting cold rain or even thunderstorms at this point. It really just depends on where the vortex is in relation to our southern stream wave when it's over the SW US. The further south & east it is, the more areas on this board will see snow, but I think sleet will probably be unavoidable in almost any case.

I had a bunch of sleet in 1980.....we had it in Dec 2000.....and Dec 2010.....I will gladly take something like the 18Z GFS last night and give up 3-4" of that to sleet lol....in a lot of ways the sleet mixing in is usually when the giant flakes size and crazy rates happen, and when it went back snow we knew we had the real cold air then and ratios went up and it was all powder after that in all those storms.....

Today's ECMWF run shows a lot of ice without there being much of a CAD in place in the Carolinas. It's something that's not as frequently associated with ice at least around here but it can happen from time to time. Verbatim the 12z ECMWF is the kind of setup you'd see in the southern plains when they get large ice storms.
I’m pretty certain that the February 1996 Ice/Sleet storm didn’t have much in the way of CAD and it had lows in the single digits in CLT after the storm like the Euro just showed.

Eric, you can correct me if I’m wrong, but La Niña favors mixed bags if I remember correctly.

I mean, again, I can count on a hand big dog storms that were all snow. Even 1/1988 had sleet along 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at the ENSO relationships to CAD too extensively, but I would probably tend to agree w/ this for a few reasons. To get CAD here in the SE US, you usually need -PNA/southwestern US troughs to trigger height rises/warm advection in the SE US and those more frequently occur in La Nina. La Ninas also are more often associated w/ high-latitude N Pacific blocking (esp -EPO) which makes N America colder overall & for ice you definitely need cold air in place first prior to the arrival of precip.

Yeah and the temps were in the upper 10s-lower 20s for much of that event and we still had significant amounts of sleet. It's extremely hard to avoid not getting IP at some pt in overrunning events.

She's a beaut Clark. Ideally, to give the board the biggest hit possible, instead of the center of the vortex being on the north shore of Lake Superior, get it down to around Montreal or north-central New England, and then we're really talking.

View attachment 71214
Starting to creep it into the medium range on the EPS #babysteps

Back