Pattern February Discussion

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Track of 12Z was better (more SE) than that of 0z/6Z and similar to 18Z. The best hope for many is a track further SE by ~100 miles.

Mostly sleet and freezing rain...

pic upload

Yeah, that's wave 1 that does okay in areas of the mountains.

Here is Wave #2 surface:
image.png

Again I love this look climo wise for those in North Alabama/North Georgia/Upstate SC and further north, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, temps. It took a step in the right direction though I feel.

Yes, this is an improvement on the 12z GFS. I think there will be a good winter event with that second wave.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Need to start checking the ensemble members for temps now. The system is on it's 4th run of the GFS in a row after being off and on for a bit. If the majority of members aren't supportive of temps even close, we have a problem.

Reactions: whatalife
The track and look is perfect for a deep south Winter Storm but temps...But at this point this as good a look as you can ask for

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_34.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_35.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_36.png

Temps in the Low 40s for Central Alabama and upper 30s for North Alabama. Cold chasing moisture will not cut it though unfortunately.

After this last fiasco for some of us here in Georgia, unless I have some decent cold air in place, I am not getting excited about winter weather in our neck of the woods. The way I look at it, if I have to wait on the cold air to arrive, I have a very low confidence forecast. The lack of cold air this year has been a killer for us. Anomalies like this won't work for us.
post images

That track would nail us with ZR/Sleet in theory. Not sure we want the low crossing over FL that far North. BUT without much cold around, doesn't really matter.

I think it could very well be cold enough with a track further SE as I think there'd be more cold air.

After this last fiasco for some of us here in Georgia, unless I have some decent cold air in place, I am not getting excited about winter weather in our neck of the woods. The way I look at it, if I have to wait on the cold air to arrive, I have a very low confidence forecast. The lack of cold air this year has been a killer for us. Anomalies like this won't work for us.
post images

Truth. The last true snow storm we had here in CAE, the cold was entrenched well before the low rolled through. Then, the latest sleet/zr event in 2014 (big one), again, the high was anchored down well in place... with snowpack to the North.

post images
And yet somehow we managed to get 2-3" of snow in early January !

Status
Not open for further replies.