• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here comes the ULL, I can say that it's going to come in like a wreaking ball lol

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

So I was reading an article the other day (Founders week at Campbell University where my daughter is a freshman), anyway it was discussing the universities beginning and how in the late 1800's when it was Buies Creek Academy one of the founders was so concerned about children's education that he would walk the kids in the community across the frozen Cape Fear River to get them to class during Winter.... I wonder if there is any validity to that statement, just seems unreal to me, that far south. Anyway sorry for the OT just passing time till the 12z suites run

December 1876, February 1895, and February 1899 immediately stick out to me as possible candidates, of these three, I think February 1895 is the most legitimate given how cold it was in central and eastern NC then. For ex, in February 1895, Raleigh and Charlotte were virtually at or below freezing for almost 2 weeks straight!
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.44.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.47.35 AM.png

DGEX FTW... here ya go lol

658f789856874e9429bde8addb84eeaa.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
HAHA! All aboard the DGEX...SMH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 1876, February 1895, and February 1899 immediately stick out to me as possible candidates, of these three, I think February 1895 is the most legitimate given how cold it was in central and eastern NC then. For ex, in February 1895, Raleigh and Charlotte were virtually at or below freezing for almost 2 weeks straight!
View attachment 61
View attachment 62
Holy crap! Considering it began in 1887 and according to your data it sure as heck was possible..... thanks man! Awesome stuff

I'm willing to bet anyone $100 today that Metro ATL gets either cold rain or nothing at all. So much excitement but not for us. Longing for 2011, 1993, 1983...

Yeah you may be right about that, but hey, I always root for Atlanta to get snow when we get a snowstorm. I'm in Greenville, SC, and we are just in a more favorable location during these events. I mean we can get a big snowstorm and Atlanta get nothing but rain or at best, freezing rain or sleet. We get disappointed a lot too though.

Holy crap! Considering it began in 1887 and according to your data it sure as heck was possible..... thanks man! Awesome stuff

Sure! Yeah, February 1895 is one of the coldest months on record in NC and the southeastern NC, the NCDC climate division ranks show that February is the coldest on record for every climate division in North and South Carolina
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.56.54 AM.png

First one to say "this one's not gonna get it done" regarding the 12z GFS has to drop and do 50 push-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the official records go back to 1887 for Raleigh, but there is some data back to April 1884 and many other stations have data available as far back as 1857, as is the case for Asheville... It's unfortunate that some of the data was not recorded, lost during the Civil War, or via negligence....

Source: NCDC IPS (Image and Publication System)
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.02.10 AM.png

At 114hrs ULL noticeably further west than 06z, northern stream stronger but not as far SW as we'd like...we'll see how far down it comes. Looking good so far.

Yep the more of these things you post the more I realize we have sucked over the past 20 years other than Jan 00 Jan 01

I can vouch for that SD. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and we just got more snow and colder winters back then. I know everybody on this board has heard JB speak of the "great winters of the 60's and 70's" ..........well he wasn't just talking about the northeast. Those two decades were great for the southeast too.

Yeah, the official records go back to 1887 for Raleigh, but there is some data back to April 1884 and many other stations have data available as far back as 1857, as is the case for Asheville... It's unfortunate that some of the data was not recorded, lost during the Civil War, or via negligence....

Source: NCDC IPS (Image and Publication System)
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/
View attachment 64
Holy hell 1884 data . That's amazing . Obviously your compiling data are you gonna publish it all in like a boom form ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can vouch for that SD. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and we just got more snow and colder winters back then. I know everybody on this board has heard JB speak of the "great winters of the 60's and 70's" ..........well he wasn't just talking about the northeast. Those two decades were great for the southeast too.
There were some great winters in the 80s too.

At 138hr energy looking great from the PV/northern stream, the NW side of the vortex has very strong energy and the PV is actually further south a tad...ULL continues to be more southwest and closed off, could be a good run for NC, may end up being our first phase, we'll see.. finally opens up the ULL at 153hrs, stayed closed longer...

The vortex up in the NE is more at an ark and not flat like the 06z at 144-150.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back