• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice to wake up to this
16699938_1585004351527217_1074034914_n.png

That dies beautifully before ATL. Snowshield is holding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fear is that if that 540 line drops South any earlier, we'll have Suppression City and be cold and dry.

Conversely if the 540 line stays north then we'll have a lovely rainstorm.

Am I wrong?

0z Euro is somewhat like the 06z GFS, it's just warmer and the track is further north. On the runs yesterday, it showed it warmer with the track of low further north. This means that it could be trending towards what the GFS has been showing. Maybe on today's runs of the Euro, it will improve today or over the next few days. I'd like something good to turn out as well, cause that's such a good track of low for favorable good snows.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

My fear is that if that 540 line drops South any earlier, we'll have Suppression City and be cold and dry.

Am I wrong?

I'm willing to bet anyone $100 today that Metro ATL gets either cold rain or nothing at all. So much excitement but not for us. Longing for 2011, 1993, 1983...

Am I wrong?

I can almost guarantee, 99.9996 %, we will be rain, instead of cold and dry! Cold and dry really should be the last of many concerns!

Jon - You know how I tend to agree with you, though we look at differing data to generally come up with like conclusions. I'm not disagreeing with you here - but where the heck is cold coming from? Truly asking. I don't see it. But as you know - I can be wrong! LOL
I meant to post this yesterday but I never sent it...so Phil if you're listening..

Take the event about to unfold for the NE for example, on the mslp map we have a 1018 HP to the north and a 1031 HP in the central plains....and the NE about to get 12"+, why? Because of the phase with the northern stream, that's it.

We are looking at the same thing here. One shouldn't really focus on mslp HP values, it doesn't truly mean anything for this storm as we are clearly not going to have some kind of banana high or a solid wedge to help the SE with temps. What we have to rely on solely is the northern stream diving in out ahead of the surface low/ULL. There's no cold on the models when the ULL comes through because the northern stream isn't far south enough. The issue here is timing. The SE will be hard pressed to get a solution that will work out for everyone... We really need the ULL to hang back 12 hours or so AND a deep vortex to get anywhere close....problem is, also, depending on how far north the ULL ends up being, the vortex can phase with it early and a majority of us will be out of business. I don't think that will end up being the case given the suppression...but we can't have too much suppression as it leads to rain.

Am I wrong?

Not necessarily, you don't always rely on the 540. The 540 is the typical rain/snow line. The 540 line doesn't represent suppression for a system.

Not necessarily, you don't always rely on the 540. The 540 is the typical rain/snow line. The 540 line doesn't represent suppression for a system.

The 850mb line is really what one should look at for the rain/snow line (ignoring in-situ shallow layers that form), not really the 540.

The 850mb line is really what one should look at for the rain/snow line (ignoring in-situ shallow layers that form), not really the 540.
Yup, also, to determine winter precip, you have to factor in wet bulb, surface temps, dew point ect...it gets down to the needy greedy.

That dies beautifully before ATL. Snowshield is holding!

why anyone takes literally something over a week away is still amazing to me...the story from that is there MAY be a system to give us hope then...don't worry about where it "dies" out or where it turns to rain at this point

Well, for the folks in downtown ATL, it's harder for the temp to drop there. Downtown ATL holds heat in from all the cars, heat from the roads, buildings and so fourth. This is why the suburbs get colder and the counties outside of the suburbs than downtown gets colder. I can see why people are saying they will get rain in downtown cause of that reason.

why anyone takes literally something over a week away is still amazing to me...the story from that is there MAY be a system to give us hope then...don't worry about where it "dies" out or where it turns to rain at this point

I realize this. I was partly joking because the model fit the narrative of our history of "close but no cigar" moments here in ATL.

On this date in 1948, the 2nd crippling snowstorm in nearly a week smashed the northern coastal plain and tidewater regions of North Carolina, dropping up to 19 inches of snow in Elizabeth City. The combined 2-storm snow totals approached 2.5 feet in parts of Halifax, Nash, Edgecombe, Wilson, and Northampton counties. The overall setup was rather unusual for a Miller A, with very weak surface lows tracking well offshore in the midst of high-latitude blocking centered over the northeastern Pacific w/ an attendant deep upper level trough over eastern Canada and Greenland and a southeast US ridge. (sounds familiar eh?). Normally, when you see this much snow over the eastern portion state, you'd anticipate to see high-latitude blocking dominating the North Atlantic and strong &/or very strong surface cyclones just offshore, not a weak frontal wave in association w/ a bonafide overrunning event. Yeah, early February 1948 is very strange and defies most canonical winter storm setups in eastern and central NC...
February 9-10 1948 NC Snowmap.png

January 31-February 1 1948 NC Snow map.png

Jan 30-Feb 10 1948 NA z500.gif
1948021006.gif

1948020100.gif

how long does it take the NCEP site to update, it seems like it used to happen well before now
It's usually during the 8:00 hour, but it can be very inconsistent. Maybe it's slower this run because it has to draw all those pretty colors on the snow map???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back