• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
PV may be paying a visit close by but 2 M temps are a blowtorch on the GFS in the long range. Hate to be negative but that Boundary Layer is going to be a bear to deal with by March 1st.
And sun angle, of course!

And on Archer Rd? LOL
Seriously asking!
No time to deal with weather in detail for 3 days - but good info!
Phil

Thanks. In March, 1960, Archer Road had a whopping 13 lows in the 30's or colder. The coldest was 27 way out on 3/22!

It got down to 22 on 3/3/1980!That day's high was only 50 with a cold rain.

On 3/14/1993, the high was only 49 after a low of 28.

For the folks that have forgotten or just don't know, early to mid March can still get very cold deep down into the US. For example, on 3/2/1980 there was snow falling in much of the SE with temperatures as cold as the teens during the daytime! On 3/13/1993, the Storm of the Century caused heavy snow and blizzard conditions for many followed by lows down into the teens and even the single digits in some places like Birmingham. These kinds of temperatures would challenge the coldest all of this winter.

March, 1960, was the coldest month of the entire winter for much of the SE with 10 degrees for the coldest at Atlanta! It was colder than an average January there! There wasn't just one nor just two but THREE major winter storms there during the 1st half of March!!! They don't get major winter storms but about once every 2 winters on average.

Two more examples: March of 1932 and March of 1890 were each colder than Dec, Jan, or Feb at Atlanta and probably much of the SE. Those were two of the three warmest winters on record in much of the SE.

Don't count your winter chickens before the March lion has his say!

Yeah, a barrage of winter storms struck NC in March 1960. I haven't analyzed the storms from March 1932 for NC but there were several...
March 2-4 1960 NC Snowmap.png

March 9-10 1960 Snowmap.png
March 11-12 1960 NC Snowmap.png

March 16 1960 NC Snowmap.png

t got down to 22 on 3/3/1980!That day's high was only 50 with a cold rain.

On 3/14/1993, the high was only 49 after a low of 28.
Those 2 I distinctly remember! The 2nd (1980) - I was at a Gulf station out on what was then a 2 lane Newberry Rd @ I-75 very early in the AM and a few of the cars that were pulling in from the southbound lane (headed from up north) had bits of ice and snow still on them. It was a raw day ...

Last edited:
I can't take anymore of webbers winter storm history lol. It's like falling and getting a cut from the hip to the ankle , having someone come along and pour salt in it and rub it down with sandpaper. lol
but it heals and then it's a good war story :p

I can't take anymore of webbers winter storm history lol. It's like falling and getting a cut from the hip to the ankle , having someone come along and pour salt in it only to rub it down with sandpaper. lol

May have to start making some of his painful post disappear (JK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to be pleasantly surprised but I think this winter is done. My only caveat is...later on this month or early March areas in the upper south that are north of I-40 might get a winter storm but who knows. We're too far out to really tell on that.

Next year almost has to be at a very minimum near seasonal, this winter was much worse than last year. Last year only had one month that was really well above and this year is likely to have two that are well above and one that was slightly above. Flirting with 80 in January even if its a couple times is purely crazy. I've seen plenty of 60s-70s in my past in January...but 80? In what's typically the coldest month of the year?

It'd be just wonderful if we topped off this really warm winter with a hard freeze in March to help ruin fruit trees/bushes.
When I lived in Southern California we had some 90s during Christmas a few times. Of course you could make a 2 hour drive to the mountains and see a few hundred inches of snow for the weekend.

heavy rain?" mon/tue for Alabama
16716289_803177486503221_8343414019272071592_o.png

When I lived in Southern California we had some 90s during Christmas a few times. Of course you could make a 2 hour drive to the mountains and see a few hundred inches of snow for the weekend.
We might live to see 90s during the winter in Tennessee if this keeps up.

Yup, March can bring many surprises.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Surprise! I have active fire ant mounds,Bradford pears blooming, and daffodils, my Bermuda is about to green up! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back