• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rest my case lol!

Lol... What I find very intriguing about the QBO is how it serves as a really nice pathway providing a legitimate, yet still ambiguous connection linking external solar forcing to the stratosphere and ultimately, tropospheric variability... Most solar-tropospheric physical links to date are elusive and/or have yet to be fully understood or discovered...

bombs away.....amazing image
71408fc32654dcf4a70f5b873496e497.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lol... What I find very intriguing about the QBO is how it serves as a really nice pathway providing a legitimate, yet still ambiguous connection linking external solar forcing to the stratosphere and ultimately, tropospheric variability... Most solar-tropospheric physical links to date are elusive and/or have yet to be fully understood or discovered...

If it takes awhile for even a very smart guy like Webber to wrap his head around something, then I know I'll probably never really wrap my head around it lol.

I was looking over this mornings GFS run (06z) and that solution is possible rather than what the 12z GFS shows. On the 06z GFS from this morning, it has the low pivoting and almost stalling out. There's strong blocking in eastern Canada during that time period, so the pivoting of low and almost stalling out is possible. This is why down along the OH River and OH Valley may get a lot of snow. If the low pivots and almost stalls out further south and east, this could mean snow closer to the eastern seaboard rather than more inland. Yes, I know that severe weather is possible with this big storm. I think the best significant chance of severe weather will be along the Gulf Coast up to I-20 and some severe storms coming up along the MS River and the Savannah River and some storms in NC. I think NC will have less of an impact of severe weather cause the subtropical jet won't be as strong there like along the Gulf coast regions. But, severe weather won't be ruled out there.

Last edited:
Katl has averaged 2.5"/year of SN/IP over the last nine years. So, IMO, they have nothing to complain about as the very longterm avg has been 2.2" and the period of 1918-19 through 1977-8 averaged only 1.5"/year.
Definitely a better average than I thought but mainly due to bigger storms. The overall theme has been for a bigger storm to happen after missing out on winter weather for 2 or more years in a row. I believe Jan 2011 was a good example of that as well as Feb 2014. So if we skip this year next year better be good! Lol.

On this date in 1899, as many of you are already well aware, a massive blizzard crippled the entire east (& even Gulf) coasts, and the airmass that followed was one of the coldest we've observed in the past few centuries. Temperatures were below freezing for nearly a week straight over the Carolinas, highs nearing the single digits were reported in parts of central NC and sub zero temperatures reached north Florida, blizzard conditions reported in Tampa Bay-St. Petersburg, and icebergs were reported flowing out of the Mississippi River at New Orleans, lol...
A swath of over 10-12"+ of snow fell from the midlands of South Carolina to Maine... Areas just south of Washington DC, the Delmarva and southern NJ performed the best with upwards of 30-36" of snow.
February 11-14 1899 Snowstorm Snowfall Map.png

Here's a picture from Fayetteville, NC following the Great Blizzard of 1899 where about a foot and a half of snow fell...
Fayetteville, NC snow February 1899 Blizzard.jpg
February 11-13 1899 NC Snowmap.png

Surface analysis from this event reveals that this was storm began as a prolonged overrunning event over the southeastern US on the leading edge of an incredibly strong arctic airmass, with a surface high pressure center of nearly 1055mb centered over the southern plains. However, as this system approached the Carolinas, it began to deepen rapidly, and the band of wintry precipitation on the northwest side of this area of low pressure expanded and intensified as it passed through SC and continued to do so as it bombed out off the mid-Atlantic and New England coasts.
1899021206.gif
February 1899 blizzard surface map Feb 13 1899 12z.gif

That's exactly why I've tried to put it in perspective. In some areas of the southeast, you can't think of "good winter" meaning snow. I would have called 2015 good even if I was in my hometown (which I was not, of course). In general unless it's a warm winter (sometimes even when it is but its rare) I'd say North Georgia (and I don't consider "Atlanta" North Georgia) has a better chance of at the very least seeing nickel and dime snow events but even my mom's old hometown which is very close to Tennessee (Although the issue of the Tennessee Valley might play a strong role in it) has had quite a few years of trace to shutout.

If you're in Atlanta proper and south or E/SE in Georgia, its pretty much all or nothing with snow and it's not going to happen yearly. Only three small snow events have happened at my house, and one was out of pure luck (convective snow from a winter storm that was going on in North Carolina). And in the 1995-2016 period, my hometown has had 5 legit snows southern style. I have a pretty impressive list of winter storms I experienced from 2010-2015, but two of them only really happened in North Georgia (Christmas in my mom's old hometown and the last semester I went to college in NW GA).
Yes there's a huge snow difference from Nashville to just 35 minutes north of Nashville where I live on the highland rim. Many winters where Nashville sees one or two inches of snow I will see 5 inches or more. Last season when Nashville got 7-8 I ended up with a foot. Now obviously sometimes Nashville gets more if a storm doesn't come far enough north but that's the only time they will get more. There's been times where I've driven home from Nashville and I was 7-8 degrees colder. On average I'm about 5 degrees colder which makes all the difference on boarder line snow events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back