• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful looking for Winter weather. This look has severe written all. over it. I first noticed a real look yesterday on the Canadian.
Could be scary stuff.

Looks like the same areas that were affected in January as well (correct me if I'm wrong) not good

sweet pic to wake up to
16730812_1588325611195091_1421592246_n.png

Looks like the same areas that were affected in January as well (correct me if I'm wrong) not good

LA, MS, AL, GA, FL highest risk. Northern SC into parts of NC too.

It's too far out to pin point, but it looks more potent.

Yeah pcbjr, as I've been mentioning for a week or so, this is far more likely to be a big ticket severe wx event than snow except for the Appalachians if at all. I know its still "x" number of hours out however, it's really a matter of when, not if a huge storm like this is going to show up given the wave packet being generated
Webb - I defer to you, but something that strong might act as a triggering mechanism to pull some cold air down from Canada. Looking at some wind models, it seems a possibility (note - I don't say "probability" LOL)

Yeah pcbjr, as I've been mentioning for a week or so, this is far more likely to be a big ticket severe wx event than snow except for the Appalachians if at all. I know its still "x" number of hours out however, it's really a matter of when, not if a huge storm like this is going to show up given the wave packet being generated from this MJO pulse in the central pacific...

To bad it's way out there in never never land:(
It looks to bring cold air behind it, the 26th fantasy storm, could set the stage for a miracle March! But we've seen this fantasy cold look all winter, only not to happen! :(

I wouldn't be surprised to have one more good winter storm this winter with the way our weather seems to be one of extremes these days. Your know, the pendulum theory of going from one extreme to the other with it being so warm like today to a good winter storm. But I think going to the extreme solution of a big severe outbreak is possible and probably more likely, too. We have had more severe chances than winter storm chances this winter, so no sense in thinking that won't cotinue. Seems we have been in a pattern in the Triangle of every other decade being sucky for winter weather since the 90s. The 90s sucked overall, 2000 to 2010 was decent, and so far this decade has been bad overall. We have had a couple of big storms, but it seems now we usually get one big storm in winter or hardly anything at all.

Yeah pcbjr, as I've been mentioning for a week or so, this is far more likely to be a big ticket severe wx event than snow except for the Appalachians if at all. I know its still "x" number of hours out however, it's really a matter of when, not if a huge storm like this is going to show up given the wave packet being generated

Yeah pcbjr, as I've been mentioning for a week or so, this is far more likely to be a big ticket severe wx event than snow except for the Appalachians if at all. I know its still "x" number of hours out however, it's really a matter of when, not if a huge storm like this is going to show up given the wave packet being generated from this MJO pulse in the central pacific...
Oh, I agree - this has spring/severe written all over it. I'm curious as to any later, possible, after effect on upper air winds, and whether such a low might, after it has tracked NE, however temporarily then drain cold down from up north (sort of a "triggering mechanism"). I'm seeing suggestions of that, but am seeking your thoughts! Thanks and Best! Phil

Edit - If it's a "dumb" question, be kind! LOL

Last edited:
Oh, I agree - this has spring/severe written all over it. I'm curious as to any later, possible, aftereffect on upper air winds, and whether such a low might, after it has tracked NE, however temporarily then drain cold down from up north. I'm seeing suggestions of that, but am seeking your thoughts! Thanks and Best! Phil

Edit - If it's a "dumb" question, be kind! LOL

No, it's a very legitimate question... There should be much cooler air in the wake of this storm and if it intensifies very rapidly and takes just the right track, I guess we really couldn't rule out some token flakes and/or minor wintry weather outside the Appalachians.
Thereafter, the pattern looks conducive-very conducive once again for more severe weather in the southeastern US and/or southern plains w/ a big trough digging into the southwestern US, SER, and a very strong subtropical jet.
eps_z500a_noram_49.png
eps_uv200_noram_49.png

I agree that there will be severe wx, as of right now there could be a transition over to snow for the APPs. If the phase occurs further south, this will put south of the APPs (including Piedmont regions) in play of snowfall.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

No, it's a very legitimate question... There should be much cooler air in the wake of this storm and if it intensifies very rapidly and takes just the right track, I guess we really couldn't rule out some token flakes and/or minor wintry weather outside the Appalachians.
Thereafter, the pattern looks conducive-very conducive once again for more severe weather in the southeastern US and/or southern plains w/ a big trough digging into the southwestern US, SER, and a very strong subtropical jet.
View attachment 120
View attachment 119
Webb- Thanks!
My new project is to study and learn about short term upper air dynamics; I've got some facets of weather "in the bag" but I keep realizing how much more I need to learn!
Thanks so much for being part of this place and helping out! I truly mean that!
Phil

I agree that there will be severe wx, as of right now there could be a transition over to snow for the APPs. If the phase occurs further south, this will put south of the APPs (including Piedmont regions) in play of snowfall.

Yeah, the overall pattern even after this storm moves by, looks pretty dang good for severe weather in the southern tier (obviously details will vary)... I definitely can't recall too many instances where I've seen a 100+ knot subtropical jet streak being progged on both the European and GFS ensemble suites this far out... It's almost that time of the year again.

gfs-ens_uv250_us_51.png
eps_uv200_conus_53.png
#agreement.
I'm not trying to hype this up or anything but wow that's a darn impressive jet streak especially for both the Euro and GFS ensemble means this far in advance, you're just asking for trouble w/ a 100-125+ STJ streak over the southern plains near the beginning of March

View attachment 121
View attachment 122
#agreement.
I'm not trying to hype this up or anything but wow that's a darn impressive jet streak especially for both the Euro and GFS ensemble means this far in advance, you're just asking for trouble w/ a 100-125+ STJ streak over the southern plains near the beginning of March

Hype or not hype...Things look to be very active w/this upcoming severe threat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the overall pattern even after this storm moves by, looks pretty dang good for severe weather in the southern tier (obviously details will vary)... I definitely can't recall too many instances where I've seen a 100+ knot subtropical jet streak being progged on both the European and GFS ensemble suites this far out... It's almost that time of the year again.
Oh yeah, sure enough with a fast moving jet like that will stir up some significant weather. Last time I checked, the jet will have a split flow, slowing down the jet down to 100+kts rather than a fast flowing jet at 150+kts crashing into the west. Late this month into March will be very interesting, severe weather wise and winter weather wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back