• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 7-8 Winter storm

I just don't think this will be a big deal for anyone other than the mountains of N. GA and NC. Moisture is too limited. Temps are marginal, at best. Plus the ground is pretty warm and wet from all that rain.

I was reading the hazoerds weather outlook as well as the AFD from FFC, and they are saying the snow will be mostly for the mountains. They're being conservative, there's going to be accumlating snowfall outside of the mountains down towards the Atlanta metro. I'd expect to see a winter weather advisory issued at least, may even winter storm warnings for the mountains.
Those are old products and discos so I'd wait for an official update from them. I think they'll issue advisories later this evening. There may even be a WSW for some counties.

Those are old products and discos so I'd wait for an official update from them. I think they'll issue advisories later this evening. There may even be a WSW for some counties.
What are your thoughts on snow in north Georgia tomorrow? Even north metro?

Is the euro best to rely on in short term situations like this? I would think the mess scale models would have a better handle on things within 12-24 hour period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Typically the euro is on the drier side of guidance while some of the CAM models are on the higher. When you blend it all together we are looking at generally a T-.1 qpf event.

I just don't think this will be a big deal for anyone other than the mountains of N. GA and NC. Moisture is too limited. Temps are marginal, at best. Plus the ground is pretty warm and wet from all that rain.
You would be suprised what these mini snow events can do. I'm expecting moderate to heavy snowfall that's going to fall for 5 hours max. If the snow is heavy enough, it will over come the warm ground temps. For road condtions, I'm expecting some issues, especially over bridges and overpasses, some roads in the mountains will be impassable. This mini snow storm has the potential of over performing IMO.

HRRR seems to be running a little warmer overnight than the other models. I'm not sure what to make of it.

It’s warm biased, lol, last week it showed me at 44 and rain 10 hours out only to change to 36 and RN/SN at hour 1-2, its mixing bias, especially with CADs/in situ CADs doesn’t help

Back